turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal TSS choke question?

Started by mnhunter2, April 17, 2018, 01:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnhunter2

Can you shoot the 7 and 9 shot size out off the same choke and get good performance?

drakehammer

Yes. You can. But not all chokes work well with the FC wad and some companies seem to have gone the wrong direction in their choke design altogether, trying to make the FC wad work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Go with an open choke of basic design and you should be golden
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tnanh

I don't shoot TSS but Carlsons has TSS specific chokes for the Federal Heavyweight TSS in both 20 and 12 gauge. They are not very expensive and may be what you need but I don't know. I haven't shot TSS.

drakehammer

Quote from: tnanh on April 17, 2018, 09:10:56 PM
I don't shoot TSS but Carlsons has TSS specific chokes for the Federal Heavyweight TSS in both 20 and 12 gauge. They are not very expensive and may be what you need but I don't know. I haven't shot TSS.
Not very good patterns outa my SBE II at all with that choke, but did kill one at 12 steps last week with one.

Borden811

Quote from: davisd9 on April 17, 2018, 01:49:03 PM

For TSS handloads I would agree. However, in my own testing, and almost everything I'm hearing from buddies who are shooting the federal TSS loads, tighter is better. Which is the same as the old flight control wads. Basically, the wad needs to be defeated to make the shells pattern good. Granted, we're all shooting 9s, and not the 7s, but in my m2 a 650 sumtoy shot the best patterns by far.

Gobble!

Quote from: Borden811 on April 21, 2018, 06:01:23 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on April 17, 2018, 01:49:03 PM

For TSS handloads I would agree. However, in my own testing, and almost everything I'm hearing from buddies who are shooting the federal TSS loads, tighter is better. Which is the same as the old flight control wads. Basically, the wad needs to be defeated to make the shells pattern good. Granted, we're all shooting 9s, and not the 7s, but in my m2 a 650 sumtoy shot the best patterns by far.

X2. No first had experience but posts tend to show go tight.

drakehammer

Its a tricky situation. I talked to SumToy and Indian Creek last week, and both of them are adamant that more open chokes are better options for all TSS. I have a couple on the way to test. Will post results.

Its kinda comical that we're all chasing the TSS train and LB XR probably has the best reputation ever.    I'm guilty!!!

Terry

I posted a thread here showing my patterns with a 20 gauge and Federal TSS #7's. The .568 has outperformed the .575 easily so far. I have a .562 Sumtoy coming this week. I'm hoping you guys are right about going tighter because I'd like a more consistent pattern than I'm getting now

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=82575.0

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk