OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!  (Read 15155 times)

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »
As a novice turkey hunter, I have had a few turkey hunting ethics questions come to mind as I am learning the ropes.  Trying to learn what the general consensus of the turkey hunting community may be so I can be sure I am doing the right thing.  Would very much appreciate the viewpoints on these from all you turkey hunting experts.

Assuming that to do the below listed things would be lawful under relevant state law, is it generally considered ethical to:

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

3)  Shoot a gobbler off the roost?

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards?

1. Have no desire to shoot any hen

2. Nothing wrong with it, I have killed enough that I selfishly wait until he is a 2 yr old but nothing unethical about killing one.

3. Came close to doing it once on a gobbler I worked over an hour that got within a few feet of range then flew in a tree above me to roost.  Put gun on him but could not make myself do it.  Killed him the next afternoon, to me no do not do it.  If he is tree hopping to the call then that is a different story.

4. I am totally against long range shooting.  I am trying to fool a bird and enjoy the experience, not snipe him.  I have a range I will shoot to and I stick to it. 
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline BennieGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »
I am not going to shoot one off the roost or over 40 yards...Part of the thrill is getting him in close.

I would say bearded Hen or Jake be ok if legal...Dead hens don't lay eggs!
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 09:03:27 PM »
Nothing unethical about 1 and 2. I can see where a case could be made for 3 and 4.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »
1)  Shoot a bearded hen? I think it is better to leave them to raise the tom's of the future. If I had no food in the house and no way to get it then that is different.

2)  Shoot a jake? To be honest I am on the edge with this one, I have never gotten a turkey before and really want to get one but at the same time want to wait out for that older tom that is a master of his craft, I think it would fill me with more righteous pride than taking a jake.

3)  Shoot a gobbler off the roost? Never, to me this is utterly disgusting and no sportsmanship involved in it at all. I would never hunt with a person that I saw do it or that bragged about doing it, to me it is a lowbrow thing to do.

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards? My eyes suck so it is a no for me. I worry about how much effect there is with shooting that far and let me explain what I mean, basically shooting paper is not the same as shooting the real deal when the adrenaline is pumping and the sights are bobbing. But there are several here that seem to have good luck with it so what do I know?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 11:50:57 PM »
1.I don't but If it's legal in your area and it makes you happy, why not?
2. Same as 1
3. Not legal for me and not sporting imo.
4. I like to see how close I can get them. All my birds have been 35 and under except one. I have made one follow-up shot over 40 yards after a pulled shot at 30.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 09:07:19 AM »
I agree with all that has been said that shooting a bird on the roost, it may be legal but not ethical, but it also depends on the circumstance. I hunted with a friend several years ago that had, and took, a shot at a gobbler on the roost. He was a new turkey hunter and I explained to him that I considered it a non ethical practice and thought the land owner was of the same mind set. He apologized and did not do it again. So it may be a situation where the person just does not know.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »
As a novice turkey hunter, I have had a few turkey hunting ethics questions come to mind as I am learning the ropes.  Trying to learn what the general consensus of the turkey hunting community may be so I can be sure I am doing the right thing.  Would very much appreciate the viewpoints on these from all you turkey hunting experts.

Assuming that to do the below listed things would be lawful under relevant state law, is it generally considered ethical to:

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards?

1   for me shoot bearded hen in spring no ,,,now if i  was into mounting birds i would considered it ,,, fall season no problem

2  if he plays the game and iam into it hes going down

3 not seance my early teens lol

4  most places i set up i cant shoot past 35 yrds

at end of the day if its legal  do what u fill is right be proud of your harvest  ,,

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

1.)   It wouldn't matter if she had spurs, all hens are safe around me.

2.)  I haven't shot a jake in the decades I've been hunting turkeys, probably not going to start now.  I want the greatest challenge and the most meat I can get from a gobbler.

3.)  I shoot turkeys on the ground only.

4.) TSS is definitely capable of killing beyond that distance, but I don't use it & have never shot at a turkey beyond 35 yards myself.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
As you can see if you ask  a lot of different people ethics questions you will get a lot of varied answers. My advice is hunt legal per your states regs, and within your equipments capabilities, have fun, and don't let others influence how you hunt.

Offline jryser

Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:30 PM »
1. If legal and you desire to do so it is within your right to use a tag on it. I see no reason nor would I derived enjoyment from it so it would be wasteful for me to do so but I can not judge you by the same process I arrive at my own conclusion.

2. Again if legal and you would take pride in the harvest and excitement of the hunt I think it's a fantastic trophy, many hunters further in their hunting career do not do so but that takes nothing away from from anyone that does. I have never held anyone I was calling for back from making their own chooses on this topic.

3. No never, many states its not legal but it is always unsafe to shoot into the air. I also feels it strays very far from the essence of what hunting is in my mind it is a turkeys most valnerable state and robs the hunt of the entire pursuit.

4. Know your abilities, know your pattern, know the small size of your targets kill area, know the energy of your shot and make your own decisions on what you want to do. We dont talk about long shots because it promotes the wrong side of the sport of spring turkey hunting which is to draw them close to you. I will not tell anyone a matter of fact distance they can shoot any weapon at any game animal however just like if you fling a lot of arrows haphazardly at deer you probably won't hunt with me if you are carelessly slinging hopes and prayer shots at birds you won't be coming along.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
[/quote

Though I agree about never shooting a roosted bird, your going to have to explain why it’s unsafe to shoot a shotgun in the air.
I think it's poor habit to point any firearm into the air, there are also states where rifles are legal for turkey and those happen to be states where roost shooting is most prevalent.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What about fowl hunters?  I shoot in the air most of the time when hunting fowl!  For the record I shot one flying to the roost outta the air one time and won’t ever do it again. I wish I would have let him keep flying bx I love the pursuit. I have a bearded hen mounted, so I will no longer shoot hens. I shot a jake last year for a dinner in KY at turkey camp. Heaven. I have no problems shooting a jake if I’m on my last tag and last day. And I like em close but took a long poke a time or two.  Today it’s 35 and in.

One thing I do know is we are all turkey fanatics on here and judging another’s hunting style is not my thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:23:33 PM by jryser »

Offline Takeaim1st

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:49 PM »
  Response as applied to ( Me )
  1. NO. Not ever knowingly
  2. NO. Not ever purposely
  3. NO.
  4. NO.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
Number 1.  I wouldn't and think it should not be legal in the spring.
Number 2.  First bird go for it. After that i wouldn't.
            3.  No
            4.  No

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 04:06:55 AM »
I’m far from being an “expert”, but hey.......this is the internet right.

1. I won’t
2. I have. My first turkey was a jake.
3. Not even if legal, IMO
4. I have.... and probably will again.

Online afhunter1

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
1.     I did once and that is all for me.  I thought it would make a cool mount and she had a very long beard too.  We have too many hens in my area as well. 
        Nobody fall turkey hunts anymore around here.  I wouldn't do it again, kinda felt bad after a little.

2.     I've shot a few in the past and encourage most I hunt with to fill tags at their discretion.  As long as they are smiling when its flopping who cares.

3.     NADA

4.     I shoot em close.  BUT there was this one red headed devil who tested me almost daily one season a few years back.  Last day I'd of shot him at 400yds if I
        could of!!!  HA HA HA  I think he died of old age.  He definitely was smarter then me.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
1.     I did once and that is all for me.  I thought it would make a cool mount and she had a very long beard too.  We have too many hens in my area as well. 
        Nobody fall turkey hunts anymore around here.  I wouldn't do it again, kinda felt bad after a little.

2.     I've shot a few in the past and encourage most I hunt with to fill tags at their discretion.  As long as they are smiling when its flopping who cares.

3.     NADA

4.     I shoot em close.  BUT there was this one red headed devil who tested me almost daily one season a few years back.  Last day I'd of shot him at 400yds if I
        could of!!!  HA HA HA  I think he died of old age.  He definitely was smarter then me.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: