OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!  (Read 15238 times)

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
As a novice turkey hunter, I have had a few turkey hunting ethics questions come to mind as I am learning the ropes.  Trying to learn what the general consensus of the turkey hunting community may be so I can be sure I am doing the right thing.  Would very much appreciate the viewpoints on these from all you turkey hunting experts.

Assuming that to do the below listed things would be lawful under relevant state law, is it generally considered ethical to:

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

3)  Shoot a gobbler off the roost?

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
1,2 are more conservation orientated. If there’s enough and you’re new you’re not gonna decimate a population. I’d never shoot hens period in the spring though.
3,4 are no’s. Just so you are aware we don’t mention shooting beyond 40 on OG according to the rules

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »
1. If legal and you desire to do so it is within your right to use a tag on it. I see no reason nor would I derived enjoyment from it so it would be wasteful for me to do so but I can not judge you by the same process I arrive at my own conclusion.

2. Again if legal and you would take pride in the harvest and excitement of the hunt I think it's a fantastic trophy, many hunters further in their hunting career do not do so but that takes nothing away from from anyone that does. I have never held anyone I was calling for back from making their own chooses on this topic.

3. No never, many states its not legal but it is always unsafe to shoot into the air. I also feels it strays very far from the essence of what hunting is in my mind it is a turkeys most valnerable state and robs the hunt of the entire pursuit.

4. Know your abilities, know your pattern, know the small size of your targets kill area, know the energy of your shot and make your own decisions on what you want to do. We dont talk about long shots because it promotes the wrong side of the sport of spring turkey hunting which is to draw them close to you. I will not tell anyone a matter of fact distance they can shoot any weapon at any game animal however just like if you fling a lot of arrows haphazardly at deer you probably won't hunt with me if you are carelessly slinging hopes and prayer shots at birds you won't be coming along.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Alberta Jonny

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »
1. If legal and you desire to do so it is within your right to use a tag on it. I see no reason nor would I derived enjoyment from it so it would be wasteful for me to do so but I can not judge you by the same process I arrive at my own conclusion.

2. Again if legal and you would take pride in the harvest and excitement of the hunt I think it's a fantastic trophy, many hunters further in their hunting career do not do so but that takes nothing away from from anyone that does. I have never held anyone I was calling for back from making their own chooses on this topic.

3. No never, many states its not legal but it is always unsafe to shoot into the air. I also feels it strays very far from the essence of what hunting is in my mind it is a turkeys most valnerable state and robs the hunt of the entire pursuit.

4. Know your abilities, know your pattern, know the small size of your targets kill area, know the energy of your shot and make your own decisions on what you want to do. We dont talk about long shots because it promotes the wrong side of the sport of spring turkey hunting which is to draw them close to you. I will not tell anyone a matter of fact distance they can shoot any weapon at any game animal however just like if you fling a lot of arrows haphazardly at deer you probably won't hunt with me if you are carelessly slinging hopes and prayer shots at birds you won't be coming along.

[/quote

Though I agree about never shooting a roosted bird, your going to have to explain why it’s unsafe to shoot a shotgun in the air.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »

[/quote

Though I agree about never shooting a roosted bird, your going to have to explain why it’s unsafe to shoot a shotgun in the air.
I think it's poor habit to point any firearm into the air, there are also states where rifles are legal for turkey and those happen to be states where roost shooting is most prevalent.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Alberta Jonny

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:57:14 AM »
I would agree 100% that you shouldn’t shoot a rifle in the air. But with a shotgun, a turkey is the only thing I would consider shooting on the ground. Each to their own I guess.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »
no to #3, all the others I don't find troublesome.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »
#1-depends on your state, in VA we are allowed one bearded bird a day in the spring so our wording allows for bearded hens.  That's really a personal choice and I wouldn't give anyone a hard time for doing something legal.

#2-I'm not one to pass up a turkey that has come into calling, I have never seen a recipe for the beard or the spurs.  If one's out there then please enlighten me.  I prefer a mature gobbler but I also am not a fan of tag soup!

#3-I wouldn't personally but I am also not a ninja so I know I never would be able to get that close to a roost tree to even attempt it nor do I have the desire.

#4-I like 40 yards, it's just a good, safe distance IMO.  If I wanted to take longer shots I'd start hunting with a rifle.   

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 02:51:02 PM »
1) Did it. (First turkey I ever shot)
2) Did it. (Followed me around the property chasing off every tom. Had to die) Jakezilla
3) Wouldn't do it.
4) Up close and personal for me.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
As a novice turkey hunter, I have had a few turkey hunting ethics questions come to mind as I am learning the ropes.  Trying to learn what the general consensus of the turkey hunting community may be so I can be sure I am doing the right thing.  Would very much appreciate the viewpoints on these from all you turkey hunting experts.

Assuming that to do the below listed things would be lawful under relevant state law, is it generally considered ethical to:

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards?

1 no
2 no
3 no
4 I've done it before many times probably do it agian.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
I choose not to do any of the four, but that doesn't make them unethical.   

If you feel you shouldn't do it even if it's legal, and you go ahead and do it, then you just went against your own ethics.   I'd rather let a bird live another day than to take his life in a manner that I personally feel wasn't fair.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 05:24:20 PM »

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

1. Where states allow bearded birds - it becomes a personal decision. For what it's worth, a bearded hen is not viewed as any great anomaly or trophy in the turkey hunter's culture. How hungry are you?

2. No problem. Legal bird that makes you happy - ok.

3. Nope.

4. As stated by others, the "sport" of the hunt is to have a close encounter. Yardsticks are hard to come by in the field, but situational awareness will usually dictate your ethical, lethal range. Modern ammunition has extended lethal range, for sure - but an extra long range kill is more of an embarrassment than a bragging right.

You asked about ethics. The ethics you adopt are yours. When a hunter's pursuit of game becomes more than just the kill, ethics become much clearer. 

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Try not to.
Ethics are a personal thing. What is ethical and fair chase to me may not be to you and vice versa. You have to be honest with yourself and answer these questions. What means more to you? The success or the journey?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »

Pretty much agree to this

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »
as for me, I tend to be rather judgmental.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game