OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!  (Read 15243 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
Being it’s an ethics thread and the questions are from a new hunter I’d like to add something if I may?
One of the biggest things to concern yourself with besides legal issues like and of course ethical shot issues is giving another man room.
Personally I never wade in among others and don’t have an issue but I’d bet most have had issues both from those who didn’t know and those who didn’t care blowing a set up.
I think you care to be clear by your questions.
If a man is on a bird first don’t set up across from him n try to have a calling contest or move in a blow his set up. Lots of guys move more than once in a morning so a few hundred yards away is much too close. Many new guys don’t realize that. If trucks are already in an area just go somewhere else.
Respect each other and hopefully others follow suit.

Offline shemp

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
Good questions by OP, and EXCELLENT post by last poster

Biggest ethics entanglement IMHO is making as little an impact as possible and not a) boogering birds or another hunter and b) not snaking another hunter and c) not setting up an unsafe situation [close to another hunter, etc.]

To the OP's points:

1) yes if legal but it's a personal decision.  I will note I'd also shoot a hen during archery in the fall if given the opportunity

2) yes if legal but I personally would not do so on purpose [only ever shot 1 jake knowing it was a jake]; if one comes in in heavy stuff and is strutting and gobbling with a white head I won't be looking for a beard.  This has actually never happened to me but has to people I know.

3) I have seen a lot of attention paid to this in previous posts.  Strictly speaking, no, I would not and it is not legal where I hunt (FLA).  That said, not all roosting situations are the same and I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've been able to sneak in to where I'd have a shot on a roosted bird without first hearing a whole lot of putting followed by wingbeats. This is in FLA public land usually in river bottoms.  I have shot 2 out of trees both were limb hopping and had flown up.  I called them straight in and they went to the trees a good 80 yards out and made their way over.  They have got to be tight to you when in a tree to have an adequate shot.  i considered both of them 'called in' and they were no longer legally roosted so were fair game. 

4) Not on purpose I've come very close to 40 on some occassions and only 1 time did I shoot too far suspecting it was a bit of a long range shot.  Long story but I will add the bird died where he stood and wasn't getting any closer.  May have been the longest hang up I've ever seen

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 08:35:56 PM »
1) I personally see no difference in shooting any hen in the spring vs shooting any hen in the fall.  Dead is dead and they can't raise a brood.  If they died last fall, I think the chance of them laying in the spring are 0%.  With that being said, I have had one chance to shoot a bearded hen (I have seen a few, but this one was in range) and I elected not to.  No judgement from me if you choose differently.

2) I have shot a jake since I really started turkey hunting.  he came in gobbling and strutting like a Tom on a windy day and I did not know he was a jake until he cleared some bushes and I could see his beard and fan. I killed him and we ate him that night.  I have passed many before and since.  Just felt like it that day.

3) No.  Never have and never would.  Not sporting.  Like water whacking ducks.  But worse, cause where I live it is also illegal.

4)Once cause I messed up and misjudged in a field.  Never really thought much of it before, had plenty of chances that cost me birds.  I don't like not killing a bird, but wounding one would bother me for a long time.

Someone above me said to the effect that 3 of these 4 don't really affect me much if you chose different than me.  If you asked me, being considerate of other hunters is way more important and will affect more people if you push those ethics.  Give your fellow hunters space, respect someone working a bird and you will be appreciated more than if you decide to take a jake or not.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Plush

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2019, 10:10:48 PM »
Is there any other type of hunting that is as so anti-female killing? I have always found it interesting.

I wouldn’t ever personally shoot a hen in the spring, but if I was confident in the population I’d probably shoot one in the fall. Assuming they weren’t raising small young.

I wouldn’t shoot a bearded hen though, I find them to be pretty gross. It’s like a woman with a beard or hairy armpits. I just want nothing to do with that.

Offline Leland3636

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
I would shoot a beared hen.  There isnt that many of them and I dont think one put of a flock is going to hurt a thing
 It is actually something I would get mounted.  Something unique. My nephew got one and had it mounted under a big Tom his step dad shot.  If he had to pick a mount to keep it would be that one.

Offline Huntress

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2019, 10:11:02 PM »
Yes.  It's ethical to shoot a bearded hen and a Jake.  No worries.

I believe #3 is illegal in most states.

#4 well, that's a personal decision.  CAN you make the shot?  Depends on the person.  Should you make the shot?  ALWAYS depends on everything you have to take into consideration... Wind, visibility, your confidence in your shot.  If you are comfortable making and you've practiced for the shot... go for it.  Also depends on what you personally want to get out of the hunt.  Me, I want 20 yards. I want to get them to a point they are so fired up they come in and I have a personal encounter.  But that's me.  Ethics is a deeply personal CHOICE.  And since you're asking, I have every confidence you actually care and will do right by the turkey.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »
On the subject of bearded hens, the ONLY reason bearded hens are legal in the spring is because some hunters do not have the experience to tell the difference between a bearded hen and a gobbler. PERIOD!  Game managers realize that mistakes will be made and bearded turkeys will mistakenly be shot for gobblers.  Managers do not want to see turkeys left in the field after such a mistake, and as such, have generally decided it is better just to make them legal so they won't be left and wasted.

This is not really a question of ethics as much as wild turkey management.  Spring seasons are set up to harvest gobblers because they are an expendable part of the population.  Take a gobbler out of a population (even jakes) and you are removing one turkey.  Shoot a hen (even bearded ones) and you are potentially taking out one or more entire broods of turkeys.

While it is true that in healthy turkey populations, the loss of a few hens should not be a critical factor, responsible turkey hunters understand the biological reasons for not shooting hens in the spring,...bearded or not.  Any spring hunter that knowingly shoots a hen in the spring season does not understand wild turkey management or is making the conscious decision to ignore the biological reasons that spring seasons are set up to harvest surplus male turkeys. 

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 07:28:28 PM »
On the subject of bearded hens, the ONLY reason bearded hens are legal in the spring is because some hunters do not have the experience to tell the difference between a bearded hen and a gobbler. PERIOD!  Game managers realize that mistakes will be made and bearded turkeys will mistakenly be shot for gobblers.  Managers do not want to see turkeys left in the field after such a mistake, and as such, have generally decided it is better just to make them legal so they won't be left and wasted.

This is not really a question of ethics as much as wild turkey management.  Spring seasons are set up to harvest gobblers because they are an expendable part of the population.  Take a gobbler out of a population (even jakes) and you are removing one turkey.  Shoot a hen (even bearded ones) and you are potentially taking out one or more entire broods of turkeys.

While it is true that in healthy turkey populations, the loss of a few hens should not be a critical factor, responsible turkey hunters understand the biological reasons for not shooting hens in the spring,...bearded or not.  Any spring hunter that knowingly shoots a hen in the spring season does not understand wild turkey management or is making the conscious decision to ignore the biological reasons that spring seasons are set up to harvest surplus male turkeys.
Wow! I actually agree with everything you said, never thought this would happen lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?