Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ethics for New Turkey Hunters - Your Opinions Please!

Started by Magdump, April 17, 2018, 10:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

1)  Shoot a bearded hen? For myself No, for another your choice if legal where you hunt.

2)  Shoot a jake? For myself No, for another your choice if legal where you hunt.

3)  Shoot a gobbler off the roost? For me No, and I would vote no for anyone... I would consider it to be unethical.

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards? For me No, cut that in half my game is under 20 yards and more in the 15-17 yard range, I like them in my face!!

MK M GOBL

Rzrbac

Shot a bearded hen in the fall when I was a kid. It was one of the first bearded hens I had ever seen and initially thought it was rare and a big deal. As time went on I've seen many more and haven't had the urge to do it again. I had rather her raise a brood and forego that.

I've killed a few jakes. It was pretty common to do so in the fall many years ago and I've shot a few in the spring but that was a long time ago. The last one I remember killing gobbled and strutted like a mature bird, that was probably 15 years ago. As long as they are legal where you hunt and he gives you the experience you are looking for... go for it. I'm not one to pass judgement on a hunter as long as he/she is responsible and ethical. Jakes are a personal standard and for the most part not a question of ethics.

No way in any shape form or fashion should a gobbler be shot from the roost.

Know your weapon and it's capabilities. I'm a bowhunter. I like my critters up close, my gun will pattern very well beyond 40 but I want to feel his gobble in my chest!

Marc

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

I probably would not...  I do not like the idea of shooting a hen during breeding season...  Just seems wrong.

However, I am not sure if I would shake my head at a young hunter doing so.  I would probably discourage my own children, as I think when they get older, knowing they shot a spring hen might sour the memory.

2)  Shoot a jake?

I have no problem shooting a jake.  I do not see any conservational advantage to letting jakes walk as far as turkey populations...  Shooting an older bird is simply more of a challenge, and waiting for a long-beard or big spurs simply increases the challenge, making the harvest more gratifying...

3)  Shoot a gobbler off the roost?

NO...  I would adamantly oppose making such legal...  There is not challenge, and it is simply killing rather than hunting.

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards?

40 yards is my limit...  I think once we start shooting loads capable of killing birds at 50 or 60 yards, we are giving ourselves a bit too much advantage.  And I do not care what load/choke you are shooting, the chances of crippling birds goes up exponentially after 40 yards.

And, if you have a load/choke capable of killing birds at those long distances, you are going to handicap yourself at the closer ranges...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

model94

Your a new hunter.
1 yes
2 yes
3 no
4..keep it 40 yards or under. Range Finders help in this regard. You don't want to wound the Tom.

alan73

I wouldn't really have a problem with any of these assuming they are legal methods for the season as per number 4 would know the effective range of the shotgun your using witch can vary greatly between gauges and how well it may pattern at different ranges.

LaLongbeard

I'd say big NO to all of them.
Just  because it's legal doesn't make it right , in some states a  man can dress up like a women and use the girls bathroom at public places lol and if you say something it is a hate crime.
So don't dress like a women and don't roost shoot bearded hens at 50 yards.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

kjnengr

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 20, 2018, 08:54:11 AM
I'd say big NO to all of them.
Just  because it's legal doesn't make it right , in some states a  man can dress up like a women and use the girls bathroom at public places lol and if you say something it is a hate crime.
So don't dress like a women and don't roost shoot bearded hens at 50 yards.

:TooFunny:

Agreed on all points.....

mtns2hunt

Passed on a bearded hen yesterday. Never seen one before but then never looked for one except after reading this post.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

fallhnt

1.I shoot any legal bird.
2.I shoot any legal bird.
3.After 7:00 a.m. game on in IL. He may have flown up to get a view too.
4.A good man knows his limitations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Harty

1,2 if you want a Tom then pass up the bearded hen and Jake . If you like turkey dinner it's youre right to harvest a bearded hen or Jake. It's youre call!

3 no.. just not ethical IMHO

4. Pattern you're shotgun. Know it's capabilites. Become comfortable with it. Shoot well within it's killing range. Be able to judge yardage! Use tools that help you with this. Too many hunters say theyre going to shoot within 40 Yds but then get too excited or just drastically misjudge the distance

NCL

1. I would say "no" because in the Spring if she has a nest you may be killing multiple turkey's
2. I don't but that is a personal choice
3. No, chance of crippling the bird which then may not be recovered
4. Try not to but I have miss judged distance in the past

wchadw

Quote from: Magdump on April 17, 2018, 10:02:13 AM
As a novice turkey hunter, I have had a few turkey hunting ethics questions come to mind as I am learning the ropes.  Trying to learn what the general consensus of the turkey hunting community may be so I can be sure I am doing the right thing.  Would very much appreciate the viewpoints on these from all you turkey hunting experts.

Assuming that to do the below listed things would be lawful under relevant state law, is it generally considered ethical to:

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

4)  With the now common usage/availability of TSS (or similar), shoot beyond 40 yards?
1&2 ok if it is legal in your state. In MS you cannot shoot hens and only kids under I think 13 can shoot a Jake during youth week

3&4 no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: wchadw on May 10, 2018, 07:59:17 AM
Quote from: Magdump on April 17, 2018, 10:02:13 AM
As a novice turkey hunter, I have had a few turkey hunting ethics questions come to mind as I am learning the ropes.  Trying to learn what the general consensus of the turkey hunting community may be so I can be sure I am doing the right thing.  Would very much appreciate the viewpoints on these from all you turkey hunting experts.

Assuming that to do the below listed things would be lawful under relevant state law, is it generally considered ethical to:

1)  Shoot a bearded hen?

2)  Shoot a jake?

1&2 ok if it is legal in your state. In MS you cannot shoot hens and only kids under I think 13 can shoot a Jake during youth week

3&4 no

But I would not shoot a hen in the spring. She would have or will be laying eggs.

greencop01

Ethics are personal rules you apply to your hunting over and above the law. The problem is when people make judgments on others according to their own ethics. Remember that ethics are personal rules over and above the law. I would not shoot a bearded hen, they are the 'seed producers' for next hunting season, but if its legal in your state its totally up to you. In Mass. its legal. As for jakes I don't shoot them. But if its legal go ahead, in Miss if I remember right a tom must have a six inch beard to be legal. Shooting a Tom off the roost is a big, giant no-no in my book, but again if its legal, as in Mass. you can. But to me its such a big no-no, if you do it hunting with me, you won't hunt with me again. I won't chew you out, or judge you but I would have told 'bout that before we hunted. Everyone I hunt with won't do it.  Just my opinion.   :TrainWreck1:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Woodhaven

There is not as much meat on a hen or a jAke as a big tom