turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First time in Montana help

Started by RKeeper1, April 16, 2018, 10:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKeeper1

Going to Montana in about a month to catch the tail end of season. Got sent this picture from family where I'll be hunting. This is on the Yellowstone river which you can see behind them. It's pretty open ground from the looks of Google maps. There are trees around to set up by. My question is just from this picture there's the one mature Tom and a few hens. How should I hunt this bird? Decoy? If so a Jake decoy or hen? I think he'd come challenge a Jake over coming to a lone hen when he has a bunch of real hens already. Also, I don't know how he'll repond being later in the season. Any tips you guys can give me will be helpful. Hopefully i will be killing my first eastern here in Illinois in a few weeks and then going after this bird next month so I'm a novice for sure and could use any info you got!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

High plains drifter

I know that place.Dont take the only gobbler.There is a better ranch to the south.

hobbes

Its unlikely that he's the only gobbler.  By the end of the season he will have bred every hen in that group multiple times and killing him will do nothing more than reduce population by one.  Another will soon after replace him.

He may still well be strutting with the hens at that time.  However, the breeding will have decreased so you may pull him away from them.  Ive occasionally  seen uninterested toms that late in the year, but I also saw a couple toms 200 miles apart strutting in mid-June last year.

The photo is the river bank itself or a gravel bar, but its likely that the spend days in surrounding fields also.  What Ive found in our riverbottom country is that it can be difficult to find a tree near these edges that arent obscured by brush.  I dont like carrying them in the mountains or breaks, but Id recommend a gobbler lounger type chair so you can set up without a cottonwood at your back. 

I also am not a big fan of decoys, so dont have a tremendous amount of decoy experience. However, dont underestimate the jealousy of these western hens.  They are probably as likely to bring in the tom approaching a hen decoy as the tom running toward a jake.  Ive seen it first hand, so id go with the jake hen combo if using them.

Watch the flock a little because they are likely somewhat patternable in that country.  Also, if the property is a small propert, don't blunder into them or ypu may find them moving to the neighbor.

While you're here, you might as well try for a public land bird in some of the ponderosa pines that are sure to be within striking distance.  The options are probably limited in that region but Im sure there are a few areas to be researchex

zelmo1

I agree with Hobbes, those hens will probably be bred by then. Decoy combo should work. Patience and info are your best friend bro. Good luck, Al Baker

High plains drifter

That looks like over by big timber.There are not that many turkeys in that area.

RKeeper1

Yeah it is by Big Timber

Happy hooker

Hunting Turkey's along the beautiful yellowstone river with mountains in the background,,"paradise"
Is that the trout part of the river,,if so total paradise

RKeeper1

I have no idea. This will be my first time being there. The picture sure made the view look nice!

High plains drifter

Those are the crazy mountains in the background.Dont try to sneak them near the river.get them in a field.

RKeeper1

Got it done this morning! First turkey EVER!

PharmHunter

Congratulations!  That's a heck of a beautiful place to kill one.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

POk3s

land cruiser

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.