OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Warping  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Footballer

• Longbeard
Warping
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
I turned 4 walnut pots yesterday and 2 of the 4 have cupped/warped. I cut, turned and sanded all within a short timeframe. I turn and sand at 1800 rpms (My variable speed is manual). I haven’t noticed any warping in the maple and white oak I’ve turned. Is walnut more sensitive?

Based on what I’ve read, it looks like I may need to let my pots rest and possibly sand at a lower rpm. What routine do you guys use to combat warping?

For the pots that do have warping, can they be salvaged? The top surface has some play in it and I lm wondering if I can try to level it back up on the lathe.

Sorry for all the questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Warping
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:21:56 PM »
Make sure your wood is dry. The lower moisture the better but sub 9% is ideal. And yes turn the lathe down for sanding this reduced the heat your pot is exposed to. I always like my pots to sit at least 24hrs before gluing up specifically to ensure no warping.

As far as saving them sometimes you can. Chuck it up and level out your surfaces equally so your measurements aren't off. It may work, it may not, but even if it looks funky but plays well then just keep it for yourself or give to a buddy lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
    • www.feathercreekcalls.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:52:28 AM »
I've only had a few pots warp in 14 years building calls. I buy all kiln dried lumber only. The pots I had that cupped I found out had too high moisture content. This was wood I friend gave me, not kiln dried. Never had an issue with kiln dried wood.

Offline TarheelTurk

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
Only pots that I had warp were wood we cut and cut up our selves , like that was stated the rest is kiln dried with zero issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL