OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Red dots and astigmasisms  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Bamalimbhanger

Re: Red dots and astigmasisms
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »
I had that problem with my vortex . did not have it with the aimpoint micro . changed the battery in the vortex and it went away

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
I never thought about polarized sunglasses but wearing them does eliminate the starburst when looking through the ff3. I could be wrong but I don't think the starburst is caused by an astigmatism. Blurry or misshapen dots may be, but I think the starburst is caused solely by the glass. Impurities in the glass scatter some of the light from the LED giving you a starburst. I have an ff3 and a Vortex Razor Red Dot. I get the starburst when looking through the ff3, nothing but a crystal clear dot when looking through the Razor. The main difference between the two is the quality of the glass.

Offline jryser

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 04:42:48 PM »
I recently bought a vortex venom to go on my 870 youth 20 gauge build. Mounted with sumtoy mount. I didn't know that if you have an astigmatism that the red dot would be star burst or odd shaped. It's not horrible but its definitely not round and clear like it should be. Anyone else have this issue? Also for those with a venom does your dog look perfectly round even on the lowest setting? Thanks for anuly replies.
Yes. That’s moderate and on astigmatism for you!  I use contacts and then have a slight magnification Bc I’m old. Makes all those dots DOTS again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jryser

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 04:44:38 PM »
Very interesting read. I also have an astigmatism problem, I don't totally understand it but have always been told mine is severe though I don't honestly know why. I know I have had at least 3 surgeries on my eyes when I was young that I remember but have been told I had 5 surgeries on them. I know part of them was to fix being cross eyed on both sides but other than that don't know much about the others. I remember having to have one of my lenses on my glasses blocked off to help the other eye.

I was thinking I would like to get a scope for next year, so I guess I will stay away from red dot scopes. I want to find one of those Nikon scopes with the turkey reticle I think.
No need to stay away from red dot. I swear by em!  Talk to ur eye doc and he or she can set u up.

Offline Fl strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »
I can tell you astigmatism will make you see crazy things. With my contacts in for astigmatism and my near sightedness the dot is pretty round and clear add polarized lenses and it's perfect. Take contacts out and I see about 12 dots and starburst like crazy.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
Very interesting read. I also have an astigmatism problem, I don't totally understand it but have always been told mine is severe though I don't honestly know why. I know I have had at least 3 surgeries on my eyes when I was young that I remember but have been told I had 5 surgeries on them. I know part of them was to fix being cross eyed on both sides but other than that don't know much about the others. I remember having to have one of my lenses on my glasses blocked off to help the other eye.

I was thinking I would like to get a scope for next year, so I guess I will stay away from red dot scopes. I want to find one of those Nikon scopes with the turkey reticle I think.

No need to stay away from red dot. I swear by em!  Talk to ur eye doc and he or she can set u up.

I made an appointment for Sept. to get them checked out and get new lenses, I have to get two pair, one for close up and one for driving with a bifocal in case I have to sign a ticket or something. (Not that a good little boy like me would ever get such a thing) lol I will talk with her then about it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline fatmo

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
Yes, I have Keratoconus which is astigmatism on steroids. I wear special contacts for it and still get star bursts (Halo) effect and slight double vision with red dots. I have gone to scopes on all my turkey guns and was told to try a prism scope red dot to see if that would work. I wear polarized sun glasses nearly every time I'm hunting or outside for that matters as my eyes are light sensitive with the disease. I still notice the effects with glasses on. I run etched glass reticle scope that has a light built in if needed.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
Had a fastfire 3. Did exact same thing. Returned it in 1/2 day. Switched to an eotech and have zero problems.