OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New Mexico 2018  (Read 5573 times)

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: New Mexico 2018
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
Only a few more hours before the camper gets hooked up and the truck is headed NW to go chase some Gila birds. Good luck to the rest of you enchilada eaters this weekend!
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Only a few more hours before the camper gets hooked up and the truck is headed NW to go chase some Gila birds. Good luck to the rest of you enchilada eaters this weekend!
Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.  Heading there myself in another week.

Offline WyoHunter

• Double Beard
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 12:59:08 AM »
Congrats! Nice birds.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
Worst turkey hunt I've been on out there. Very little sign anywhere. Didn't hear a gobble in 3 days. I did see about 4 or 5 birds coming out one morning at a tank... best I could tell from a long ways off in a quick glance, there were a couple of gobblers and a couple of hens.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
Worst turkey hunt I've been on out there. Very little sign anywhere. Didn't hear a gobble in 3 days. I did see about 4 or 5 birds coming out one morning at a tank... best I could tell from a long ways off in a quick glance, there were a couple of gobblers and a couple of hens.

That's a bummer.  I've had hunts like that down there. 

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
Hopefully I can make it up to the Lincoln for the last weekend. Maybe I'll at least get to hear a bird gobble on the limb up there!

Offline Turkeyman11

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 10:58:39 PM »
Congrats.  My buddy and I each tagged one a piece in the Gila.  I saw several birds the two days prior to the hunt, but in my 20years down there I’ve never had them so unresponsive.  Not sure why, but I’m thinking of heading back down I’m a couple of days.

Online JMalin

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
Three hens and two jakes this AM.  Back at it after lunch and an hour nap.

Online JMalin

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
I’ve gotten a couple of birds to answer calls, but can’t get any to work to me. 

Online JMalin

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 09:50:33 AM »
It’s like these turkeys have some place to be.  I was able to get one to slow down, but wouldn’t work to me.  I may have to ambush one on a travel corridor.  I was out in front of them, and they still wouldn’t deviate from their path. 

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »
That's is why I always tell folks from other parts of the country to make sure to allot enough time for their hunt when they come here.  Sometimes it takes a while to figure these birds out.  A lot of people think that if a bird keeps gobbling at every call you make that he is eventually going to come.  Around here, it ain't necessarily so.  I'm sure you'll get 'em....

Online JMalin

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 10:37:51 PM »
Running out of time unfortunately.  I've gotta head home on Sunday.  I forgot how frustrating these Lincoln birds are.  Every area I've scouted/hunted has birds, but I'm having a hard time getting more than a courtesy gobble in the afternoons.  When I do get more than that, they walk in the opposite direction gobbling. 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 10:52:10 PM »
I hunted the Lincoln last year.  Makes me want to go back. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Online JMalin

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »
One down!

Online JMalin

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »

Story to come this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk