OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal HW #7 VS Hevi-13 #7

Started by sswv, April 04, 2018, 11:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

I looked but couldn't find any comparison of the Federal HW #7 and the Hevi-13 #7. Same gun, same choke, same distance? Anyone did the test? and if so what were the results? I am only interested in these two loads.

thanks in advance

sswv

DANG, not one person on here has shot both of these shells out of the same set-up?   I'm really surprised!

akp

I have out of a youth 870 with a Carlson's and a Trulock.  The federals were a little better at 40 in my sons setup.  The Hevis were more of a good 35 yard pattern.  Getting a little thin at 40.

Fieldturkey

I shot both a couple years ago out of my Sumtoy. I think they were real close numbers wise but the Hevi did a few more hits. They're both good shells. I shot the hevi for years before the HW

Tom Foolery

From a .550 through .570 the Feds out shot the H13's from my youth 870

SCDieselDawg

I have.  Hevi 7s vs the old HWT 7s in my Franchi Affinity.  There's a couple of posts on here somewhere from 2 years ago.

chatterbox

I have shot both, although not under the same temperature conditions, so I can't say how close the numbers actually are.
I shot between 150-155 with the Federal, and 105-110 with the Hevi-13.
It was significantly cooler when I shot the Hevi-13, so I know that had an impact on pellet count, just not sure how much.
Both patterns will kill, and both were very even. With the discontinuation of Federal, this will be my hunting load.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: sswv on April 04, 2018, 11:37:11 AM
I looked but couldn't find any comparison of the Federal HW #7 and the Hevi-13 #7. Same gun, same choke, same distance? Anyone did the test? and if so what were the results? I am only interested in these two loads.

thanks in advance
The Federals are hittin quite a bit harder than the Hevis....ifn you decide to go with the Federals better get now while the gettins good!!!!!

WyoHunter

My Beretta 20 ga. AL391 Urika with a Carlson's .575 patterns both very well but I don't have numbers  for them. I chose to shoot Fed HWT 7's because they knocked down my pattern board and the Hevi 13's did not. Turkeys hate this combo!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

KyScott

This is not a fair comparison but I have shot the 3 1/2 Hevi 13 7's out of my 870 Max Gobbler for years. I have also shot the 3" 20guage Federal HW 7's out of my wife's Browning Silver and was VERY impressed with the pattern. Wouldn't hesitate to use the Federals.