OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mag Blend Dissected Pellet Count?

Started by njdevilsb, April 21, 2011, 11:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njdevilsb

I think people have opened up the Hevi shells before to see what was inside of them.  Does anybody have a count for each of the 5 6 and 7's that are in there?  I have the 3" 2oz ones that I may take apart just to rob the #7 out it them since I don't like how they patterned out of my 12 gauge if it would be worth it.

jebs chokes

njdevilsb I have opened up 3 hevi 3" 2oz 5/6/7.  I seen pellet counts from 383 to 430 . The shells had 2oz of shot but some had more 5s and6s  than the other ; which lead to less 7s  one had alot of 7s and hardly any 5&6s. I think they tumble these shot to keep them mixed and what falls is what falls but their is 2ozs of shot.  The same thing for nitros.  turkey hunter

new2turkey

does this result in inconsistent numbers?

njdevilsb

Ok, thanks for the info.  I opened one up and actually found a good majority to be smaller shot than larger.  I salvaged most of the small ones and opened a few straight #7 20 gauge shells to get a decent amount of the 7's to play around with.  It's somewhat of a waste, but I wanted to experiment before I go and order a bag of Hevi Shot.

new2turkey, it absolutely would result in inconsistent numbers.  If you figure that 2 oz of 13g/cc #5's would come out to 294 pellets, with #6's 382 and #7's 508, if most of them were somehow 5's, your total count would be way lower than if the count swung towards the majority of the load being 7's.

Thanks to slickyboyboo for posting the great shot pellet chart.  I use it almost daily.  It's a definite must for anyone's bookmark list.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,251.0.html

WildSpur

I opened a 3" 2 oz'er a few months ago.  If I recall correctly, it contained 426 pellets.

Cluck more, yelp less

new2turkey

Quote from: njdevilsb on April 22, 2011, 12:21:42 AM
Ok, thanks for the info.  I opened one up and actually found a good majority to be smaller shot than larger.  I salvaged most of the small ones and opened a few straight #7 20 gauge shells to get a decent amount of the 7's to play around with.  It's somewhat of a waste, but I wanted to experiment before I go and order a bag of Hevi Shot.

new2turkey, it absolutely would result in inconsistent numbers.  If you figure that 2 oz of 13g/cc #5's would come out to 294 pellets, with #6's 382 and #7's 508, if most of them were somehow 5's, your total count would be way lower than if the count swung towards the majority of the load being 7's.

Thanks to slickyboyboo for posting the great shot pellet chart.  I use it almost daily.  It's a definite must for anyone's bookmark list.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,251.0.html

Thanks, good to know

hunttherut

Not sure of the numbers in each 2 oz shell, but I shot a longbeard at 43 steps this morning with 3" 2 oz mag blend and he didn't move.  First bird I have taken with hevi shot.  All others have been with lead. 

longbeardlife.com