OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call Conditioner

Started by gob4me, April 21, 2011, 11:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gob4me

Hi I was wondering what should be used on a Crystal slate to condition for the first time?Stone or course sand paper? Thanks any info would help.

West Augusta

Either will work.  I use sandpaper usually.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

kenturkey89

Quote from: West Augusta on April 21, 2011, 11:20:07 AM
Either will work.  I use sandpaper usually.

Same here.  I think sandpaper's just a bit cleaner but that's JMO
Brian

gob4me

What kind of sandpaper I have some and also have H.S. STRUT conditioner?

West Augusta

I use whatever I have handy.  180 grit works.  I also have a H.S. Strut conditioner stone that I keep in my vest.  I also keep a small piece of emery cloth in the top outside pocket of my vest.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

kenturkey89

I usually start out with something like 180gr to break up the top surface of the glass, then finish up with something course like 80 or 100gr to give it a good surface for your striker to bite into.  Make sure you check your sandpaper regularly, because it will fill up with glass or crystal dust very quickly and won't break up the top surface very well.  You can also use the conditioner if you want to help break up the top surface, then clean it up with 180gr or something similar and again finish with 100gr.  

This is just my technique, some people may do something completely different but this is what I've had good results with.  
Brian

gob4me

Thank you very much.I have some sand paper that looks like screen, I  will try it.

swampgobbler

i use a stone to help me get started and then finish up with sandpaper. 

Roost Wrecker

I like 3m 80 grit to start and carry a primos slick stick in the woods.