OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Highs and lows....  (Read 2230 times)

Offline blackmagic

Highs and lows....
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:54:41 PM »
Haven't had the opportunity to hunt as much as I would like to due to all sorts of crap.  But opening morning, I called in a very nice bird for a buddy who hadn't shot a bird in over 10 years.  Of course he was shooting a mod choked duck gun so I called the shot at 15 yds.  Sweet.  And this bird had some stellar hooks.  2nd sit was dead....3rd sit next weekend, I locate a bird and make my move.  It's a BIG boy with 4 hens,finally sweet talk him away from his girls and spend the next 30 minutes staring down my barrel at him.  Every time he'd start drifting towards the hens, I'd purr and he'd come racing back.  I finally figured the gig was up post wing flip and I clucked to make him lift his head as he was walking towards his hens.  I KNEW the shot was longer than I like to shoot...but still felt killable. Well, I missed for he first time.  Paced it off at 40.  I've never shot further than 20.  I think I'm still slightly depressed about it.
4th sit of the season, I went to same area and just set up near where I thought this bird was roosted.  Went in dark and quiet and hoped I got in the ballpark. After over an hour of sitting, leaned over to pee and wouldn't you know, I'm under that sucker's tree...FLAP FLAP FLAP FLAP FLAP.   Waaaaaah

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
Re: Highs and lows....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 07:50:32 AM »
Blackmagic something like you described happens to me every yr. I look back at it and shrug it off its a life learning experiance. I hit a nice buck in Archery season last yr never found him I was still searching 2 weeks later and I was really bummed that was my first deer I didnt recover its gonna happen sooner or later. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
Hang in there Black Magic. The season ain't over yet!!! :icon_thumright:

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:24:06 AM »
Sounds like you were onto them and some good hunts.  Keep at it.

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 08:29:37 PM »
Sorry for your miss brother... sure sounded like ya dropped em from where Dad and I were sitting. Keep on em. :you_rock: