OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Suggest some books?

Started by Sir-diealot, April 12, 2018, 09:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Double B on April 17, 2018, 08:32:29 AM
In addition to the great ones mentioned, i like Ultimate turkey hunting by Knight and Hale, from the early 90s.  I really enjoy the hunting stories from the land between the rivers,  later the LBL.
Thank you very much, I added it to the list.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Picked up Somewhere Along The Way "Stories from the Alabama Turkey Woods"by Andy Johnson It consists of a collection of very short stories, I like his writing style, very easy read. The stories so far have been turkey hunting recollections told in a whimsical style. It is not a very large book, just 124 pages. Here is a link if anybody wants to check it out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1365392511/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Lazy coyote

Crow killer.  Saga of liver eating Johnson

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Lazy coyote on October 25, 2018, 09:35:04 PM
Good book, read it years ago.

John Koenig:

crow

Quote from: Lazy coyote on October 25, 2018, 09:35:04 PM

Excellent book, as good as the movie is, this is one time Hollywood underplayed the character.
The real life Johnson made the movie version look like a Boy Scout.

limhnger

Got a few that I'm thinking about trying to sale. If so I will put them on the classified miscellaneous section on here or if interested just message me. Here's what I have..

1.Tenth Legion - Tom Kelly. Stated 4th Printing by Spur from 1977. HB, no DJ. Long inscription inside front cover (gift inscription). Some light dark smudges/stains on front cover, pages in good shape with light overall yellowing.

2.Turkey Hunting A One Man Game - Ken Morgan. HB, DJ. Unstated first edition from 1987. DJ has moderate overall wear (some light bending along top edge). Book has some light yellowing around some of the page edges.

3.The Flaming Turkey - Robert Hitt Neill. HB, DJ. Stated second printing from 1987. EX LIBRARY copy with lots of stickers and stamps inside. Dust jacket encased in plastic (fading/discoloration along spine). Book has a good amount of overall wear (ex library stickers and stamps as mentioned, many pages have creasing in the upper right corners).

4.Talking Tomfoolery - Earl Groves. Softcover. Unstated first edition from 1977. Good condition with general overall wear (some creasing/bending on the front, general overall yellowing to pages, etc).

5.Hunting the Wild Turkey - Tom Turpin with Roger Latham. Softcover. 1966 reprint of the classic. Good condition (old store sticker in lower right corner, yellowing to back cover).

6.The Wild Turkey: Its History and Domestication - A. W. Schorger. HB, DJ. EX LIBRARY copy with lots of stamps and stickers inside. Dust jacket in plastic but has lots of wear. Book has lots of overall wear.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: limhnger on November 01, 2018, 11:56:37 AM
Got a few that I'm thinking about trying to sale. If so I will put them on the classified miscellaneous section on here or if interested just message me. Here's what I have..

1.Tenth Legion - Tom Kelly. Stated 4th Printing by Spur from 1977. HB, no DJ. Long inscription inside front cover (gift inscription). Some light dark smudges/stains on front cover, pages in good shape with light overall yellowing.

2.Turkey Hunting A One Man Game - Ken Morgan. HB, DJ. Unstated first edition from 1987. DJ has moderate overall wear (some light bending along top edge). Book has some light yellowing around some of the page edges.

3.The Flaming Turkey - Robert Hitt Neill. HB, DJ. Stated second printing from 1987. EX LIBRARY copy with lots of stickers and stamps inside. Dust jacket encased in plastic (fading/discoloration along spine). Book has a good amount of overall wear (ex library stickers and stamps as mentioned, many pages have creasing in the upper right corners).

4.Talking Tomfoolery - Earl Groves. Softcover. Unstated first edition from 1977. Good condition with general overall wear (some creasing/bending on the front, general overall yellowing to pages, etc).

5.Hunting the Wild Turkey - Tom Turpin with Roger Latham. Softcover. 1966 reprint of the classic. Good condition (old store sticker in lower right corner, yellowing to back cover).

6.The Wild Turkey: Its History and Domestication - A. W. Schorger. HB, DJ. EX LIBRARY copy with lots of stamps and stickers inside. Dust jacket in plastic but has lots of wear. Book has lots of overall wear.

I wish I could but can't right now, have some other deals to complete here. I want 3 of those, Tenth Legion, Turkey Hunting A One Man Game and Hunting the Wild Turkey - Tom Turpin but simply can't at this time. Good books from what others have said, best of luck selling them.

John Koenig:

Drthorn

So far here are my favorites:
Old Pro Turkey Hunter
Turkey Hunting: A one Man game
Tenth Legion
Bad Birds

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Drthorn on December 30, 2018, 08:46:09 PM
Old Pro Turkey Hunter
Tenth Legion
Bad Birds
Other than Bad Birds the others are on the list. I could not find Bad Birds though, could you tell me the author? Thanks.

John Koenig:

Drthorn

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 31, 2018, 02:31:21 AM
Old Pro Turkey Hunter
Tenth Legion
Bad Birds
Other than Bad Birds the others are on the list. I could not find Bad Birds though, could you tell me the author? Thanks.

Jim Spencer
https://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/pages/books/26956/jim-spencer/bad-birds-a-collection-of-mostly-true-stories-starring-the-gobblers-we-all-love-to-hate

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Drthorn on December 31, 2018, 09:29:49 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 31, 2018, 02:31:21 AM
Old Pro Turkey Hunter
Tenth Legion
Bad Birds

Jim Spencer
https://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/pages/books/26956/jim-spencer/bad-birds-a-collection-of-mostly-true-stories-starring-the-gobblers-we-all-love-to-hate
Thanks, added it to the list.

John Koenig:

ChiefBubba

the american wild turkey by henry edwards davis. Is the holy grail of turkey books. My grandfather had one but a cousin got it. Books can go for about 600 bucks. You can find reprints for cheaper. Bubba

Chuck1443

Quote from: ChiefBubba on January 01, 2019, 09:28:31 AM
the american wild turkey by henry edwards davis. Is the holy grail of turkey books. My grandfather had one but a cousin got it. Books can go for about 600 bucks. You can find reprints for cheaper. Bubba
X2 . I read it through an online library

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

Doc Weddle's two books, Turkey Tails and Trails from Across the USA, Volumes 1 and 2 are high on my list.  Volume 2 just came out this fall.  Beyond the just plain fun of Doc's accumulated stories and cast of characters from so many years on the turkey trail, there's also a lot of hard-earned wisdom in both these books, and with some painful episodes along the way recounted with a humble honesty.  These books will definitely get you fired up to explore new ground and meet some great folks along the way.

firedup posted an excellent review in an earlier thread with info on getting Doc's books:

"I know that Hookspur / Doc Weddle has met many of us in his travels. Just thought that alot of his friends would want to know that he has his 2nd book, "Turkey Tails and Tales from across the USA, Vol 2." out now.  It is available from Amazon but if you want a signed copy (and wish to support the author), you will need to purchase a copy directly from Doc. 

It takes off where the other book (vol. 1) leaves off.  While there is certainly "how to" information in the book (a lot on researching and prepping to hunt other states), it is essentially one man's passion (an addicted fool) for turkey hunting and his adventures across American and the people and situations he encounters.  Written in a style as if you were sitting around the campfire hearing him "tell the tale". A very good read, strong on his outlook and opinions and pretty much free from the commercial BS that seems to plague our sport these days.  Paperbacks are $25 and hardcovers $35. Checks or MO's can be sent to Tom Weddle PO Box 7281, Bloomington, IN 47407. And if you don't have it, a good thing to pick up would be a copy of Vol. 1 at the same time. ** Prices includes shipping to your mailing address!  "

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 01, 2019, 04:47:06 PM
Doc Weddle's two books, Turkey Tails and Trails from Across the USA, Volumes 1 and 2 are high on my list.  Volume 2 just came out this fall.  Beyond the just plain fun of Doc's accumulated stories and cast of characters from so many years on the turkey trail, there's also a lot of hard-earned wisdom in both these books, and with some painful episodes along the way recounted with a humble honesty.  These books will definitely get you fired up to explore new ground and meet some great folks along the way.

firedup posted an excellent review in an earlier thread with info on getting Doc's books:

"I know that Hookspur / Doc Weddle has met many of us in his travels. Just thought that alot of his friends would want to know that he has his 2nd book, "Turkey Tails and Tales from across the USA, Vol 2." out now.  It is available from Amazon but if you want a signed copy (and wish to support the author), you will need to purchase a copy directly from Doc. 

It takes off where the other book (vol. 1) leaves off.  While there is certainly "how to" information in the book (a lot on researching and prepping to hunt other states), it is essentially one man's passion (an addicted fool) for turkey hunting and his adventures across American and the people and situations he encounters.  Written in a style as if you were sitting around the campfire hearing him "tell the tale". A very good read, strong on his outlook and opinions and pretty much free from the commercial BS that seems to plague our sport these days.  Paperbacks are $25 and hardcovers $35. Checks or MO's can be sent to Tom Weddle PO Box 7281, Bloomington, IN 47407. And if you don't have it, a good thing to pick up would be a copy of Vol. 1 at the same time. ** Prices includes shipping to your mailing address!  "
Thank you much, I hope to pick them up in the future.

John Koenig: