OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Suggest some books?

Started by Sir-diealot, April 12, 2018, 09:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

@Treerooster thank you very much. I do like biology though I have no formal education in it, that is one of the reasons I always liked Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine more than Turkey Call because it always had a biology section in it. I will look into those studies as well. I also enjoy ready about the history of Archery, wish I had the books I have loaned out and never got back, they were quite interesting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: tha bugman on April 13, 2018, 11:38:45 AM
Ol' Pro, Tenth Legion, One Man's Game- The Trinity of Turkey Hunting Books

Everything you ever need to know is in those three books. Be sure to take the test at the end of Ol Pro turkey hunter.

Tail Feathers

Halfski has a couple of collector condition books for sale in the classifieds that I'm told are a good deal.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on April 13, 2018, 04:01:29 PM
Quote from: tha bugman on April 13, 2018, 11:38:45 AM
Ol' Pro, Tenth Legion, One Man's Game- The Trinity of Turkey Hunting Books

Everything you ever need to know is in those three books. Be sure to take the test at the end of Ol Pro turkey hunter.
Who wrote Ol' Pro? Could not find it on Amazon. Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 13, 2018, 04:12:41 PM
Halfski has a couple of collector condition books for sale in the classifieds that I'm told are a good deal.
Thanks for letting me know. I don't think I can do anything great this month but maybe next month.

John Koenig:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Gene Nunnery wrote The Old Pro Turkey Hunter and I Lift will lift up mine eyes unto the hills.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on April 13, 2018, 07:26:17 PM
Gene Nunnery wrote The Old Pro Turkey Hunter and I Lift will lift up mine eyes unto the hills.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Ah okay, I did not have the full title before, that is why I could not find it. Turns out it was already on the list. Thank you for the help.

John Koenig:

Treerooster

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 13, 2018, 12:02:16 PM
I also enjoy ready about the history of Archery, wish I had the books I have loaned out and never got back, they were quite interesting.

I have "The Traditional Journey" and "The Traditional Journey Continues" both a collection of writings done by several authors. Got them when I visited the  Pope & Young museum in MN. Cool place. A lot of history about the beginning of archery in this country in those books. I found them very interesting.

1iagobblergetter

The Masters Secrets by John E. Phillips is an inexpensive good how to book. One of my favorites I remember when I started my book collection years ago.
Ray Eye also has some good relatively affordable books I think would be of interest to you.
I started out just like you and now I've lost count how many Turkey hunting books I have now. Just to gain information you dont have to break the bank if you dont want to.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Treerooster on April 14, 2018, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 13, 2018, 12:02:16 PM
I also enjoy ready about the history of Archery, wish I had the books I have loaned out and never got back, they were quite interesting.

I have "The Traditional Journey" and "The Traditional Journey Continues" both a collection of writings done by several authors. Got them when I visited the  Pope & Young museum in MN. Cool place. A lot of history about the beginning of archery in this country in those books. I found them very interesting.
Bows of the World by David Gray was interesting though I wish it had been longer. I have read a few others but don't recall the names other than Saxton Popes book Hunting with the Bow & Arrow and Ishi: Last of His Tribe which was quite sad in many ways but very interesting as well though not really about archery as a whole. There is a DVD about Ishi as well that is quite good, I don't remember the title but I will try to figure out where I put it if you are interested so you can have the title. I like both the history of North American bows and the way they were made and used throughout the world and find the different holding styles of the bow strings interesting as well. That would have to be a neat place to visit, I would love to be able to go there some day. Sorry if this reply seems fast, I am just waiting for my GF to get ready and we are heading out there door. Oh one of the next history books I want to get on archery is Longbow: A Social and Military History which looks quite interesting. I love things to do with knights and that time in history so it sounds like it could be an interesting read. I pretty much like any history from The American Revolution on back. Wish there were more history movies on The American Revolution but sadly there is not. Love some of the scrimshaw work that came out of that time in history. I want to get myself a flintlock some day as well as a wheel lock and match lock just because I like the history so much. I hope to turkey hunt with a flintlock muzzle loader one day. Edit: There are some books on archer in this list I hope to get if you are interested, there are some other things there too though, I was using it as a hunting list as well so there are some non archery things there too. http://a.co/ckVH6kD

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 14, 2018, 10:53:23 AM
The Masters Secrets by John E. Phillips is an inexpensive good how to book. One of my favorites I remember when I started my book collection years ago.
Ray Eye also has some good relatively affordable books I think would be of interest to you.
I started out just like you and now I've lost count how many Turkey hunting books I have now. Just to gain information you dont have to break the bank if you dont want to.
Thank you very much. I had started a collection years ago but when it looked like I was never going to be able to hunt again because of my last car accident I gave them all away because having them around depressed me, now I am trying to get some again.

John Koenig:

dublelung

The Truth About Spring Turkey Hunting According to Cuz.   Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland

stewdawg

Quote from: dublelung on April 16, 2018, 08:10:17 AM
The Truth About Spring Turkey Hunting According to Cuz.   Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland

when I read this book, I always visualize Cuz speaking the words in his distinctive voice and story-telling style. great book.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dublelung on April 16, 2018, 08:10:17 AM
Added to the list, thank you.

John Koenig:

Double B

In addition to the great ones mentioned, i like Ultimate turkey hunting by Knight and Hale, from the early 90s.  I really enjoy the hunting stories from the land between the rivers,  later the LBL.   
Followed by buzzards