OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help for a complete beginner!!!  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Jay81

Help for a complete beginner!!!
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:01:49 PM »
Hello, this is actually my first post and not the way I would care to make a first impression but... I have been looking for a lathe and I have found a rebuilt powermatic 90 with variable speed new banjo something or other, new bearings, a bunch of face plates and I can’t remember or know what all he mentioned, sorry!! Anyways would 1200$ be a good price and is that the way to go or a jet 1221 or something similar?? Please help and I will give a proper introduction ASAP.. Thanks, Jay I don’t have much time to make a decision!! You guys seem pretty knowledgeable
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:32:22 PM by Jay81 »

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Help for a complete beginner!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:59:48 PM »
If you have that to spend I'd buy a new Jet or Rikon. They are proven machines and honestly you don't need the biggest and most powerful lathe for pots. Having a knob controlled variable speed and reverse abilities would be a nice feature. I'm always nervous about rebuilt anything, especially mechanical stuff. For $1200 you can buy a nice lathe, chisels, and a slow speed grinder and probably some other goodies you'll need starting out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Jay81

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »
Ok I agree but I should mention I am a woodworker by trade, we build custom cabinets and furniture, so I am also thinking this could be an addition to our business as well, just trying to make the best bang for the buck, I’m worried with a too small machine I’d be pretty limited. Is 1200a good price? Thanks

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:17:45 PM »
Ok I agree but I should mention I am a woodworker by trade, we build custom cabinets and furniture, so I am also thinking this could be an addition to our business as well, just trying to make the best bang for the buck, I’m worried with a too small machine I’d be pretty limited. Is 1200a good price? Thanks
I'll be honest I know nothing about that machine. If it's an industrial size one just make sure you can turn it down slow enough go be sanding without overheating your pot. I don't know what speed range that thing has. Also make sure it's an MT2 not an MT1. Most modern lathes and accessories including your chucks are fitted for MT2.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »
Jay I just googled this model and there are alot of forum discussions on it. Check those out. Sounds like overall 1200 is a little higher than most are paying for them. Also alot of people are having to change motors from a 3 phase to a single phase. Another mentioned even though they are big heavy machines that larger pieces of work weren't stable on it. Idk do some reading up.  It would make me nervous to gamble $1200 on a refurbished item, unless it's warranted.

Offline Jay81

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:52:30 PM »
Thanks for the input, the guy wouldn’t even take 1200.00 but I believe it was a fine piece of equipment but probably more than I needed. I’m really thinking about just going new with a jet 1221 unless anybody has a reason I shouldn’t???