OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: groups of turkey  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Willie 870

groups of turkey
« on: April 12, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »
I have hunted 4 straight days this week. The birds are grouped up still the weather is way behind this year.  Today i had two gobblers on a roost 125 yards away they were gobbling a lot it was around 610 they were still in the tree i made a little yelp on a slate and the hens went nuts they were closer to me. every thing shut up at 625 i watched one gobbler fly down coming towards me he gobbled once and at least 10 hens flew right to him. i had a jake and a hen out decoy. I had two hens walk towards me one came and set in my decoys for 15 minutes. the gobbler stayed there i could see his fan every so often. I had 4 jakes come from a different angle they just walked by then i had two jakes and a long beard run right into the decoys.  couldn't  get a shot they paused briefly and went on. i then had 4 jake skirt the decoys.  I was in the right place. not sure if i need to leave decoys at home or put out a hen and strutter. I was hunting on top of a small ridge in the woods what do u all think

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: groups of turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
Just my opinion but it sounds like you were in the birds. Early season its not unusual to see Turkeys still grouped up to a certain  degree. Were I you I would be back the next day with decoys. In fact I would probably put out as many as 10-15 with a couple of movers in the pack and try to place them so you are between the decoys and where the turkeys are roosted. Its worked for me several times. Just my two cents. I am sure there are others with recommendations.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »
When they are grouped up it is tough to pull them in...  I would watch where they go after fly-down, and be there next time...  I would probably try a jake over a breeder for decoys...  Or nothing (and no calling).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
When they are grouped up it is tough to pull them in...  I would watch where they go after fly-down, and be there next time...  I would probably try a jake over a breeder for decoys...  Or nothing (and no calling).

Why not call?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.