OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ever use a treestand for turkey?  (Read 2610 times)

Online outdoorsmen

Ever use a treestand for turkey?
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
So i often climb up in one of my ladder stands so i can get a better view as to whats going on out in my neighbors field.  Well today a longbeard kinda caught me by surprise and i almost got a shot at him. (11am all by himself, never made a spund and wouldn't respond to a call). Anyway, it would have been a first for me. I've shot 3 while standing up but none from a tree yet.  Sure do have a better view up there
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:06:19 PM by outdoorsmen »

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Ever use a treestand for turkey?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »
I have not, but I have heard reports. Apparently there is the problem of them flying up in trees with you. :newmascot:

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
I have killed them from a tree stand. Do a lot of coyote hunting from my tree stands.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:37:02 PM »
We used to before fish@game switched firearms from anything to shotguns only . That's about 8 years ago
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
Treestand for turkey sound like a good idea, but the problem is turkeys look up.  It may be the owls and hawks attacking them when they're young, but I've generally found turkeys to very shy of me when I'm in an elevated blind.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
Don't forget to shoot slightly under them if you are shooting down at them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
The value of a well-placed tree stand is to allow one to get a better view of a pasture so one may then get down and properly hunt what one saw, if anything.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Online outdoorsmen

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 01:05:54 PM »
The value of a well-placed tree stand is to allow one to get a better view of a pasture so one may then get down and properly hunt what one saw, if anything.
Yep thats what i do alot

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »
Tree stands do work well. The reason I seldom use them is I have enough stuff to carry let alone a saftey harness and rope.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
I spend a lot of time in a treestand every fall in areas with a lot of turkeys. I almost never get turkeys close enough to offer a shot. I agree it might be that they look up because of danger from birds of prey.i watched YouTube videos a few days ago where they had treestands nearby, but were hunting on the ground. I'll be turkey hunting next week on the ground 20 yards from my treestand.