turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoys in the hardwoods

Started by MOOSE, April 12, 2018, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

You have got some great answers. Here is my opinion. It seems to me a decoy has hurt me more than helped in the woods. I have had a bird come in and see the decoy then just hang up right there. My thinking is that once he sees the decoy he expects the hen to come to him. If you dont use a decoy he actually has to come and look for the hen that is calling. Its also just something else to carry. I will admit that I always have a decoy in the truck but unless its pouring rain or very windy,thats where it stays.
Gary Bartlow

Uncle Tom

An ole timer told me years ago you are cheating if using a decoy and I try to not use them, as others have said. But have no problem if someone uses them, and more young hunters are using them it seems. I believe if a gobbler is coming and each goggle getting closer most of the time if you are set up in the spot to see him and he not be able to determine you are there...pick you out among the limbs, leaves, whatever is helping you conceal your position so as to call to him as he goes behind a tree, brush, or spins in a strut....then you do not need a decoy and in many cases you will get your shot. These are the times that are much more satisfying to me...I fooled him completely with only my calling, him hunting me (the hen he hears) and will not have to wonder if he sees the decoy and hangs up out of range. That is always on my mind if using a decoy....will he hang up when he sees it. So, I rely on my calling, my correct setup, and hope to work him if he is committing.

RiverRoost

I would think if you were going to carry any decoy it would be a jake. That way any gobbler that has come in and heard your calling can't "see" the hen calling but sees a young punk who has beat him there and even a subordinate 2 year old "should" not intimidated enough to want to challenge a jake looking for love.

I jumped on the wagon and bought avain x jake and hen last year and after carrying them a few times I quickly put them in the closet. Too much to carry. Now if I'm hunting a pasture or field I think they'd be worth carrying.

tomstopper

As hunters we are trying to reverse what nature has planned. He struts and gobbles to attract the attention of hens. Instinctively the hens want to be bred and thus go to him. Stating this is exactly why I don't use decoys in the woods often. I call to him and let him try to find me. In the past, I have had gobblers stop as soon as they seen my decoys and break into full strut and gobble just out of range. I honestly think that when they seen it they were like "ok here I am and I know you see me so come here". I think this why I like making them find me. Not sure why using decoys in the fields work for me but not in the hard woods though

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Harty

I prefer not to use decoys in the hardwoods. I work on sets ups using the lay of the land that place the Tom in range when I can initially see him

Scout24

I've killed loads of birds in the woods with decoys but I like be able to see 50+ yards when setting up. My OOS CT spot is 200 acres of nothing but hardwoods and you can't trespass off the property without risking a felony, so we post up hardwoods in different sections. Been killing birds that way down there for 20+ years. My home state of NH is the second most forested state in the US at 94% so it's almost as bad but if I cut and run and strike a quick, close bird I never risk spooking him so set up quickly without them, that works too.

Gobble!

Quote from: EZ on April 16, 2018, 10:30:15 AM
Quote from: Candyman on April 12, 2018, 02:53:41 PM
Leave the decoys at home and concentrate on sitting down in the correct spot,  one less thing to carry too. I think too often folks try to get where the decoys will be seen instead of getting in the spot to kill the gobbler. Imo

IMHO..... the best answer.

:icon_thumright:
Lesson I learned the hard way.

Kylongspur88

Very rarely will I use a decoy in timber. About the only time I will use one is when I'm set up on a logging road where a bird can see it at some distance in either direction.

Other that I usually just try for the right spot do some light calling and some leaf scratching

nyhunter

Decoys make nice yard ornaments !!!!!!              Never had any luck with them in the wood's and very little success with them in a field situation. Best decoy field hunt i had was a coyote coming to my decoy, my little 870 20ga with Fed. HW#7's took care of him.

EZ

Leave the decoys at home and concentrate on sitting down in the correct spot,  one less thing to carry too. I think too often folks try to get where the decoys will be seen instead of getting in the spot to kill the gobbler. Imo

My opinion exactly. Not bashing decoys, just think that they have become a hinderance to becoming a well rounded turkey hunter.

bobk

Quote from: EZ on December 25, 2018, 08:34:36 AM

My opinion exactly. Not bashing decoys, just think that they have become a hinderance to becoming a well rounded turkey hunter.

Well said.

ezmorningrebel

everytime i leave the house without one and can't get a bird to come in i kick myself for not having a decoy and everytime i sit a decoy out and a bird hangs up i kick myself for having the thing out there.

CALLM2U

Like everyone else, I've had mixed results.  I will say that I have the best success when I set the decoy up behind me or in a place where when the gobbler can see it, he's already in range. 

What I'm trying to prevent is two things:

1 - Him coming in and not seeing a hen/finding me instead and leaving
2 - Him not seeing the decoy too early so that he stops out of range and waits for her to come to him.

* My apologies as I just realized this is an old thread.  Nonetheless, hopefully someone finds it somewhat useful.

Hooksandspurs

used one last year and made the difference had three come up right to the decoy but didn't want to shoot it so I didn't then they started to leave but called a little and they circled the decoy gave me the shot.

appalachianstruttstopper

Open timber with no underbrush it works for me like it does in a field. Thicker areas, it's back to old school methods for me. If he shows his head, he's dead. He'll be in range from my set-up upon arrival looking for his girlfriend.