OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Greater love  (Read 2110 times)

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
Greater love
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
This a devotional that I received today and I though it was appropriate. I have been very fortunate in my life to have met some truly awesome people. This past weekend provided a man of God in my life that I truly enjoyed spending time with and sincerely hope to be blessed with his friendship till the end of my time here.

Read 2 Samuel 1

Saul is killed in battle; David mourns the deaths of Saul and Jonathan; David is crowned king of the tribe of Judah; Ish-bosheth, son of Saul, is made king of 11 tribes of Israel.

I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women (II Sam. 1:26).

The news of Saul and Jonathan's deaths was troubling to David. Many would think at least Saul's death would have been good news to David. However, this was not the case. David knew that God had anointed Saul in his office as king (1:14). He had also at one time been very close to Saul. The scripture paints a clear picture that David had no hatred towards Saul even though Saul tried again and again to kill him.

David mourned for Saul, but it was the death of his best friend, Saul's son, Jonathan that obviously grieved David greatly. They were truly more than friends. They loved each other as brothers. Even beyond that, they had a deep godly love for each other. They had truly been obedient to a commandment Jesus would later give. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another (John 13:34).

It would seem that the relationship that these two men had is seldom found in today's world. Yet it only seems that way. Wherever the love of God is allowed to bloom in a life, that person will have great love toward those around them.

This love will be greatly above and beyond any love of this world. It will be a love that is developed by the Holy Spirit that lives within the believer. It will go further than other human love. It will help more than any other human love. It will also hurt more than any human love. It will sacrifice far beyond any human love. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13).

Jesus set the greatest example of this kind of love. He did exactly what that last verse said. He laid down his life for His friends.

Who are the friends of Jesus? He gave His life for all mankind. This is that true godly brotherly love. His great sacrificial love has even provided the way for us to become children of God. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together (Rom. 8:17).

Love can truly accomplish great things. It will heal family relationships. It will cause people to give their lives to a worthy cause. God places this love in our hearts to give us the desire to live a life dedicated to Him. Let God's love shine through your life. Love God with all you have and love people like Jesus did.

And to love Him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices (Mark 12:33).

Thought for Today:  Even though Saul was unfaithful to God, David mentioned only his good at his death.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net