OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Headed to Nebraska  (Read 2945 times)

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Headed to Nebraska
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »
Alright folks, season has slowed down some (as it had to) from the first few days. I had #4 come in last week, gobbled about 50 yards out but I completely whiffed on a 20 yard shot. No excuses, no brush or obstructions between he and I. I tried to take the shot as his neck and head were parallel to the ground and he must have moved just as I pulled the trigger because he flew up and back into the bottom he came out of, no feathers or traces of a hit of any kind. Every bad shot or miss I've ever had were when I try to make such a shot, you'd think I'd learn at some point.  Oh well, I just decided to give him some time and maybe get on him during the headache period at the end of the season. I'm headed out Sunday to hunt for a week in Nebraska. I've been trying for 3 years to get a Merriam's and hope this is my year. Don't know if I can get an upgrade but I'll take a good mature gobbler and get that monkey off my back. Will return to Alabama for the last 8 days of the season and attempt to limit out. Good luck to all of you whose season starts this weekend and to my southern bretheren who haven't scored yet, hang in there, hens should start nesting soon, and that's when I've been able to do some of my best hunting.

Online FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: Headed to Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
Good luck and we will be hoping that you are able to get that Merriams.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
Best of luck Nebraska is a blast to hunt

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
Good luck!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 11:47:13 AM »
Good luck on those Merriam's!

Online FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
Are you going through an outfitter or hunting public lands?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »
Good luck.  Best advice I can give you is if the Merriam is on the side of a mountain get even or above him.  My buddy says they will never come down the mountain to calling.  I've yet to have one do it even though I've tried multiple times to prove him wrong.   ;D

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:14 PM »
Best of luck to you out there!  I had planned to leave tomorrow for Nebraska for their opener, but the blizzard warning for out there where we hunt has moved us back until next Thursday. 

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:40:01 PM »
Thanks, leaving Sunday, hope it warms up some. We Southerners don't like wearing deer hunting gear while turkey hunting. Of course, if that's what it takes...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk