OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Other new Buice tags me out

Started by Sixes, April 09, 2018, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

After killing birds on Monday and Thursday, I got up early Sunday morning and drove to my lease only to find cold temps and cloudy skies. The birds were silent. Luckily the weather broke around 3 and about 5 o'clock, I went to small plot surrounded by select pines were tracks were abundant. I made a few calls over the next hour and heard nothing. I glanced to my left and there at 15 yards stood a sneaky gobbler. We saw one another at the same time. Instead of putting and running, the bird was spooked bad enough to immediately take flight and sail back down a hollow.

Knowing he wasn't coming back, I moved about a half mile to our planted gas line not far from where I killed Monday's bird. I got setup and made the first call with the new Buice at 620 PM, nothing.  about 15 minutes later, I heard a gobble down the hill on the gasline. I waited a couple of minutes and made some quiet clucks with trumpet. This time the gobbler cut me off and I could tell he had moved a lot closer. I shut up and within a few more minutes, he was topping the hill looking for a girlfriend. He was dead at 705 PM. So that was a 7 day period, hunted 5 of the days, killed 3 gobblers with 2 new Buice calls!

Gotta love a nice afternoon hunt to finish out my GA limit!

Buice3-1 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

buice3 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

eorlando

Awesome!!!! Great story and beautiful horn!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

batsonbe

chefrific

Now that is how it's done! Congrats!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Incredible.  Some people can go years or a lifetime without a season like that!  Great work bud!
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Chris O

Sixes

Thanks guys, I thought I would throw up one more pic of the bird. The sun was lowering on the horizon and the coloration of this gobbler was amazing. I tried to get a good pic, but cell phone cameras and resizing do not do it justice.

bird coloration by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

Sixes

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 09, 2018, 04:05:03 PM
Incredible.  Some people can go years or a lifetime without a season like that!  Great work bud!

I've always seemed to be lucky when it comes to hunting and fishing. I once caught a 9.3# largemouth in the Dead Sea (Lake Allatoona) at 90+degrees in mid June while me and a buddy were just sitting in my boat and talking to his brother, his girlfriend and another buddy in another boat. I tossed a 4 inch worm across a deep secondary point and she engulfed it. Everyone still talks about that fish.

I've always been able to kill deer with no issues, (somewhere around 200 deer kills with 70+ bowkills) and when I started turkey hunting, my cousin/mentor said "approach it like bow hunting, get them close, set up right and kill them at the first opportunity" and that is how I try to approach turkey hunting. It seems to work, if I can get them to appear already in range, it seems the odds for a kill goes up.

I still consider it a lot of luck, but I can say (not to jinx myself), if I get the opportunity and the shot, I very rarely miss anything.

1iagobblergetter

Nice call,gun and gobbler..... Congrats!!!  :icon_thumright:

Chris O

What kind of wood is your Buice? Looks sharp

mgm1955