turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Green Slate Recommendation

Started by tha bugman, April 09, 2018, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Interested in getting a green slate.  Who would you recommend me checking out?

JLH

So many choices are going to come flooding in.....your best best is to listen to as many sound clips as you can find and base your choice on that.

It all depends on what you want in a call....each one will have subtle differences in tone, pitch and rasp.

And tone, pitch and rasp can also be manipulated with striker choices as well.

JLH

And.....its a question of do you need it now, for this season, or something that can wait.

raven105

Dustin Jones of Blackstone Custom Calls makes a mean green slate at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I have 5 and I will tell you , save your money and buy one. Brad Roberts in cedar. Outstanding call. Second would be Dustin Jones cherry followed by Lon Trice bulletwood.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tha bugman

Quote from: JLH on April 09, 2018, 12:10:22 PM
And.....its a question of do you need it now, for this season, or something that can wait.
no rush I just wanted one for my collection.

sbbow

I would say Dustin Jones  cherry pot. It's a killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sx4

I definitely think Blackstone makes great sounding calls. I would have bought one if they were available recently. So that is a good choice but it may be hard to get one this time of year...I have not personally tried a green slate but have tried other surfaces from him.

For this next part you got to throw on your sunglasses and waders..

I have three green slate calls from John Sinclair. Two Cocobolo and one walnut all over glass.. They all sound great and have exceeded my expectations. My cousin has a green slate over slate in cocobolo it sounds darn good. One thing I have learned buying somewhere around 10-15 turkey calls in the last two months is not only do you have to find what you want you have to find out how to buy them. Some companies are easier then others.

Also as a disclaimer I am just telling my experiences as a consumer and I gain nothing from this post other than the ability to share my experience. :thanks:

letinmfly

Paul Hicks and Paul Durham make killer green slates. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

HILBY72

MAC Calls in a Walnut or Cherry pot

vt35mag

I have or have had the Halloran, MAC cherry, MAC walnut, Blackstone walnut, Brad Roberts walnut, Brad Roberts cedar, and a Van Cise.
My vote is the Roberts cedar hands down. It WILL BE the first pot out of my vest on the May 1 opener.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Jbhsgs3699

Brad Roberts Green Slate Cedar pot, Halloran Green Slate Zebrawood laminate.

shatcher

Paul Hicks has a good one in a walnut pot.

Fieldturkey

Paul Durham in an Osage pot or Brad Roberts cedar. Both are outstanding

highcottton

Talkin The Talk Custom calls makes a green slate that is an absolute killer!