OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Just purchased 835 Mossberg ???  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Gearhead

Just purchased 835 Mossberg ???
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:29:53 PM »
Newbie turkey hunter here needing some help, I just purchased a nice but used Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag , my questioned is it had two chokes that came with it, ones a factory accu mag turkey choke uni full lead shot only I believe thats what it says and the other is a ported Comp-N-Choke xxfull lead only, which one and what brand shell should I try? Doesn’t seem like I can shoot some of the newer heavy tungsten shells or some of the trick wad shells through the ported Comp n Choke? Throw them to the side and start over? Or shoot 10 year old technology shells? techThanks in advance.

Offline Borden811

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Just purchased 835 Mossberg ???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:29:13 AM »
If you just want to kill turkeys out to 40 yards, get yourself some Winchester Longbeard  ammo in 5s or 6s, pattern to make sure your poa and poi are matching, with which  ever of your 2 chokes throws the best pattern, and let the heads roll!

Offline Ericbrooks

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
What He said^^  Don’t overthink it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
 :welcomeOG:  The 835 is a Great Turkey gun.  Plenty of information on the Mossberg Patterning board for the 835.  The 835 and 935 like chokes in the .670-.676 range and shoot most ammo really well.  As stated Longbeard 5 or 6's are a Great place to start.  They love the Hevi-13 shells as well.  I'm an 835 shooter and have settled on 3 1/2" Hevi 7's with a Pure gold .670 choke.  Good Luck and again Welcome to a GREAT Turkey site.

Offline Gearhead

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:54:52 PM »
Thanks guys I’ll get a box of long beard 3 1/2 #6 and try the two chokes that I have. I’ll look into the pure gold choke also, I can’t seem to find the Hevi 13’s anywhere here local at our  Bass Pro or Academy Sports, Walmart 

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:18:25 AM »
Gearhead, I sent you a PM.

Offline Gearhead

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
Thanks bbcoach, I purchased a box of long beards 3.5 magnums #5 and shot both chokes that I have , I printed a turkey head of the internet so on a regular size piece of paper I got 255 pellets on that paper at 30 yards with the mossberg ulti full turkey choke , had a roll of felt paper behind the target. Had a nice pattern I thought around the standard size paper . The Comp n Choke wasn’t as good and had some empty spots in the pattern it also shot high or I did , didn’t bother to count that one . I have pent a lot of money already so might just roll with that if that sounds like a decent pattern? I have no idea how to post the pics or I would.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:19:44 PM »
255 at 30 yards is good enough, if it hits where you point, your ready to go. No need to invest anymore .

Offline Gearhead

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
Thanks dirt road ninja, that makes me feel better .

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
Up until a few years ago I'd put a coke can on a stick step off about 30 yards and let fly. If there were a few holes in the can that was good by me. Killed plenty of them and never felt handicapped.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:16:53 PM »
Up until a few years ago I'd put a coke can on a stick step off about 30 yards and let fly. If there were a few holes in the can that was good by me. Killed plenty of them and never felt handicapped.

This was always my rule of thumb
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:11 PM »
I've just read a lot of good common sense advice. That's great to see. We all need to remember what this sport is all about and it appears to me that's exactly what happened here.

I'd also like to extend a hearty welcome to Gearhead. Glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Gearhead

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:02:13 PM »
Yes sir these guys helped me a ton and saved me money. So much good info here , all most too much to take in. But I have a good starting point now. Thanks fellows.

Offline Gearhead

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
Just wanted to say Thankyou to all who chimed in on my post. I killed my first turkey with this gun on my first ever turkey hunt on my own property by myself with help only from this site. My day started at 4:00 am but patience persevered. I did not hear or see a thing but at 12:30 and all morning of second guessing everything, my choice of ambush, my camo, my movement and my calling/ cheap calls, etc, but two goblets came in two my left 150 yards and three little yelps they turned and came straight in to my lined up gun barrel I just took the front one . Dropped him at 30 yards! 22 lbs , 10 inch beard and 1 &1/8 “ Spurs !! Thanks you guys!

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »
Congrats!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.