OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

first timer heading out...trails to use?

Started by Seitheach, April 08, 2018, 05:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seitheach

Hi all, new here and to hunting. I am wondering if when I go out I need to get on a trail designated for hunting, or if I can simply park at a trail head and hike down a trail the general public will be using, then turn off trail?

Kylongspur88

I suppose it depends on where you are hunting.

TauntoHawk

as long as it's open to public, most dog walkers aren't put at 4:30 in the morning

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sir-diealot

You had better check the regulations for that particular area/trail, I know some allow hunting and some do not and some only in designated areas and never facing the trail itself. Contact the trail manager or your local game warden for more information on the area and remember safety first.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Contact your Department of Natural Resources, Game Department, or whatever the agency is called that governs hunting regulations in the state you are hunting.  Also, get a copy of the hunting digest, proclamation, or rules booklet governing hunting in your state.  Read the regs and if you have questions, ask the agency folks.  Between the two, you should be able to get everything you need to know clarified.

In answer to your question, it would be unusual for a hunter to have to stay on designated trails, but I suppose there might be exceptions to that,...always check the regulations before hunting.

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 08, 2018, 09:05:07 PM
In answer to your question, it would be unusual for a hunter to have to stay on designated trails, but I suppose there might be exceptions to that,...always check the regulations before hunting.
That there is about the best answer you are going to get...  I have never heard of a hunting area for turkeys where you had to hunt on a designated trail...  Waterfowl hunting can be quite different, in that you might be limited to a specific blind or very small area to hunt...

There are draws for turkey hunting (in my state) that require you stay within a certain area of the property as well...

If I am hunting a new area with unfamiliar regulations, I call and ask...  I get the name of the person I asked and the time and date I called...  At least in my state, I have unfortunately found that even government employees can be fallible (insert sarcasm emoji).

The vast majority of public hunting areas for turkey, once you are in, you can roam about as you choose as long as you are within the boundries of the unit though...  However, ettiquette (which is not stipulated in any regulations) would suggest that you do NOT interfere with another hunter if possible...

For example, there is a 60 acre unit I sometimes hunt, with a small area to park and walk in.  If I were to plan to hunt there, and another car was already there, I would not hunt there, and would expect someone to do the same for me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on April 10, 2018, 01:38:10 AM
If I am hunting a new area with unfamiliar regulations, I call and ask...  I get the name of the person I asked and the time and date I called...  At least in my state, I have unfortunately found that even government employees can be fallible (insert sarcasm emoji).
:TooFunny:  How true!  "Sometimes the left foot does not know what the right foot is doing" applies here.  On a number of occasions, I have had two different agency employees give completely contradictory information about rules and policy.  ...It's best to double-check,...and then check again.

Quote from: Marc on April 10, 2018, 01:38:10 AM
The vast majority of public hunting areas for turkey, once you are in, you can roam about as you choose as long as you are within the boundries of the unit though...  However, ettiquette (which is not stipulated in any regulations) would suggest that you do interfere with another hunter if possible...
Uhhh,...Marc,...I think you left out one very important "not" in that last sentence...   ;D

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 10, 2018, 08:53:07 AM
Uhhh,...Marc,...I think you left out one very important "not" in that last sentence...   ;D
Yes...  A small but important oversight on my part...  Correction made...  Thank you!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.