OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting wma’s  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Beards n bbq

Hunting wma’s
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
New to hunting richloam in central Florida. Have always hunted easterns in central Ohio and this is is a totally different experience. Not hearing any gobbles but I feel sure there are some birds there. 58000 acres, how can I narrow down which areas to focus on. Any help would be greatly appreciated, really hoping to fill my Osceola tag

Offline Ozark Ridge Runner

Re: Hunting wma’s
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:59 PM »
If they are t gobbling then you’ll have to burn a lot of boot leather to find them.  Roost sites , scratching , droppings etc. 

Offline Beards n bbq

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:57:49 PM »
I’ve seen hens working a controlled burn area mid morning, if I can’t fire up a longbeard at sun up I may set up close to burnt area and hope to ambush a Tom following the girls

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »
This weekend was the first time I've ever turkey hunted public land. I've deer hunted this particular WMA before, but only a few times.

I looked for some likely spots on google maps and then pinned them on my HuntStand app. I got extremely lucky I believe because Saturday morning I parked the truck and heard one gobble A LONG way off and decided he was in a certain location I had found where a creek ran through the ridges. I drove around to another road and walked in 1 mile to where I thought he was and he gobbled once more on my way in. I set up on the break of a ridge and within 20 minutes he hit the ground and I heard him strutting and drumming. Killed him at 8:30.

Then Sunday morning, I didn't hear anything at daylight so I drove to another location and walked in 1/2 a mile or so to a high ridge overlooking a beaver pond. I hit the crow call and one hammered back. We did this three times as I pin pointed his location and tried to figure out how the heck I would get to him. In the end I decided to set up at the edge of the beaver pond and take his temperature. Well it took some time, but several series of calls later he answered me about 100 yards away and I went silent. He came in sneaking and looking. I killed him at 10:30.

I didn't hear another shot either morning, so I assume I was the only shooter in any proximity to the locations.

The best advice I can give you is get away from the roads and when you hear a gobbler, don't call too much.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 04:41:05 PM »
Been years, but if my memory is correct, you are not going to be able to walk miles away from anyone there.  If you walk a mile in, you will just be a shorter way to another road, it is pretty well blocked off. Get there a day early and scout would be my advice.  If you don't find sign, then look for areas where you think they would roost and travel.  You are kinda in the transition area, so the birds can be fairly vocal, but tend to be quieter than Easterns in general.  Not always true, but don't get discouraged. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
are these permit wma units or anyone can go? Mike

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
Did you move down here
U should try Green swamp Wright  next door South
I wouldn't advise too dear hunt in where your at Turkey ok
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
thinkin of movin there actually, trying to find out if its hard to get on the wma units

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »
thinkin of movin there actually, trying to find out if its hard to get on the wma units

NO
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:36:42 PM »
Richloam isn't a draw hunt anymore? I wouldn't move to FL with hunting public land as my plan. There's a reason people from FL drive up the price of leasing land in neighboring states.

Anyhow, look for areas with difficult access. Osceolas aren't harder or even much different. They're just hard to get on without an audience. Get away from people and hunt them like highly pressured birds you've hunted elsewhere.

Offline Beards n bbq

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »
moved back to florida, lived the last 10 years in central ohio.  Richloam's first 9 days are quota, the rest of the season is open.

Offline Beards n bbq

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 10:07:43 PM »
so would green swamp be a better choice?  with so many roads and trails through richloam, getting off the beaten path seems difficult. actually heard a couple gobbles and worked some hens this morning, so best day thus far.  running out of time!  will surely get in quota next year of better yet find some private land of lease.  never played the leasing game

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
If you are hearing gobbles, get after them.  Lots of folks take mature gobblers on public land in Florida. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
I didn't care for Green Swamp, but some people love it. I hunted public down there 'til I killed one and then went out of state the rest of my time living there. It's just so much easier and safer to drive to a neighboring state and kill an un-pressured bird off a deer lease. I do know people who kill a limit of Osceola on public every year, though. They have areas that get little pressure on out of the way public land or they figure out where the bird feeders are on the boundary and get between there and the roost. I'm no fan of the latter, but the former worked for me.

This was before it was common to find hunt clubs advertised on the web.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
is it hard to gey in on the quota hunts, how does hat work? Mike