turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 advise

Started by strum, April 08, 2018, 12:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Hey guys I have been looking at an 870 sps supermag express turkey with red dot scope  20" barrel 12g shoots 3 1/2''

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-Turkey-Shotguns/731999.uts

Cant find one anywhere but I called a gun store locally who has a 870 turkey Thumb Hole mossy oak 12g 21" barrel shoots 3"
While its not exactly what I was looking at it is priced right.
Im shooting a Mossberg 500 12g with an adjustable tactical stock. 24"barrel
I like the shorter barrels but have no experience with them.
Anyone have experience with either 870 or at least the shorter barrels?

Mossy12GA

Well.........not a knock on the 870, my son got one 3 months ago, the 870 Super Mag Waterfowl version, $639 MSRP, had one issue, the camo on the barrel began to flake off in a month, the camo and base coat of color down to the black, not the receiver, just the barrel, our LGS gave a full refund and returned to his distributor. Probably an isolated case.

My only point is to look them over real good, with the current bankruptcy not sure if possibly the QC might be off for a while.
Mossberg shooter since 1968

strum

Quote from: Mossy12GA on April 08, 2018, 12:55:38 PM
Well.........not a knock on the 870, my son got one 3 months ago, the 870 Super Mag Waterfowl version, $639 MSRP, had one issue, the camo on the barrel began to flake off in a month, the camo and base coat of color down to the black, not the receiver, just the barrel, our LGS gave a full refund and returned to his distributor. Probably an isolated case.

My only point is to look them over real good, with the current bankruptcy not sure if possibly the QC might be off for a while.

I am aware of the bankruptcy and that does concern me some. Really i have had no issues with the Mossberg. I just got an itch to buy something lol .

Ozarks Hillbilly

There are several like your looking for listed on Gun Broker.

TJK68

Good and bad in all sometimes, I have 3 870'shot and love them. Bought a new Mossberg 930 about 6 weeks ago, shot a foot high and a foot to the right. Mossberg CS would not do anything about it after several calls from me and my dealer. My dealer is a stand up guy and made it right with me, won't ever deal with Mossberg again. Like I said, good and bad in all I guess.

grayfox

I have an 870 3" chamber with a 21" barrel & a Magpul stock on it. I like it so much that I've been leaving my new Weatherby SA-459 12 gauge at home most of the time. I shoot 2oz of Hevi-13 #7 through it. It is devastating on turkeys. You don't really need a 3.5 inch in my opinion unless you like more weight. Good luck on whatever you choose to go with.

Boilermaker

I have an 870 turkey express with 21" barrel and 3" chamber.  It does just fine and is a great gun to tote through the woods with its short profile.  Mine patterns long beard XRs well with the Carlson .660.  I wouldn't hesitate one bit to pick one up.  3 inch loads do great and will get it done till the cows come
home.  No need for a magnum unless you have your heart set on it.  Enjoy!

Gobble!

With today's chokes and loads shorter barrels are not a concern.

strum

Thanks guys . Im still looking .

taketheshot

I have that exact 870 from the link. Sold the red dot and use a vx-1 instead. Absolutely love the setup.
The balance feels just right with the short barrel.

longislandloco

Quote from: TJK68 on April 08, 2018, 09:00:11 PM
Good and bad in all sometimes, I have 3 870'shot and love them. Bought a new Mossberg 930 about 6 weeks ago, shot a foot high and a foot to the right. Mossberg CS would not do anything about it after several calls from me and my dealer. My dealer is a stand up guy and made it right with me, won't ever deal with Mossberg again. Like I said, good and bad in all I guess.

Good and bad.......All my dealings with  Mossberg have been outstanding, my dealings with Remington good.........now Benelli, a complete nightmare
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

TJK68

Quote from: longislandloco on April 10, 2018, 06:31:24 PM
Quote from: TJK68 on April 08, 2018, 09:00:11 PM

Good and bad.......All my dealings with  Mossberg have been outstanding, my dealings with Remington good.........now Benelli, a complete nightmare
Glad your dealings with Mossberg were good, mine was a nightmare. The worst CS I have ever experienced. My dealer said he will not be selling anymore of them.

strum

Quote from: taketheshot on April 10, 2018, 06:31:09 AM
I have that exact 870 from the link. Sold the red dot and use a vx-1 instead. Absolutely love the setup.
The balance feels just right with the short barrel.

Im glad to hear from someone who has one.
  I did find a couple on gun broker but other than that they are hard to find right now.
I think im gonna hang till the season is over and hope they become available.  I know I dont need the 3 1/2" magnum but like the guy said when asked why he carried a 45 " they dont make a 46"   I just want one lol.