turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lohman crow call sticking

Started by Will, April 08, 2018, 09:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I have used a Lohman crow call for years but carry two because for some reason the reeds will stick. I see a lot of crow calls posted on here. Is this a common problem? Is it something I'm doing?
Thanks for the input
Will

land cruiser

I have the same thing with my Buckner. Called, left a message and never heard back. Last call I am buying from them.

Will

it drives me bat crap crazy because I have great success locating birds with crow calls especially in the morning. That's what I was curious about is if other brands had the same issue.

Lonehowl

Maybe I can help...Most crow calls can "stick". On most calls, the gap between the 2 mouthpieces is narrow. The reed is very close to either side of the mouthpieces.  Sometimes if you get to much saliva in there it can make that reed actually lean over and stick itself to one side or the other. You can sometimes hold the call sideways and blow thru that gap sharply and break the reed loose...or, it doesn't stick to the side, there's just simply to much spit or debris in there to let the reed work right

Something else that can happen is that the reed, which is plastic, can warp a bit and lean over to one side so when you blow air thru the call, it will cause the reed to instantly push over to one side of the gap and lock up. Also, sometimes the reed can simply move or work itself out of position just enough so that it isn't covering the air channel just right, and will lock up or buzz or otherwise not blow clean..

There are crow calls that have a real wide gap that aren't prone to some of those problems. They have a different sound though, which can be good, and may take a bit more air to blow. Faulks for example, or a Mallardtone.
Everyone should learn to tune their call. Especially crow  calls. Crow calls that use the tapered mouthpieces like a Gibson, are designed to be popped out easily  and be cleaned and tuned...you clean em, and you can straighten reeds etc.

Calls that have a non-tapered mouthpiece, like a Mallardtone or Faulks, are a bit harder, as you may have to use a small dowel up thru the barrel to knock out the mouthpieces. They are sometimes stuck pretty good.

Anyways, I probably just muddied up the water here, but I will say that almost any reed type call can stick regardless of who made it. That's just the nature of the beast. That's why you need to take things apart and learn how to tune. Everything fails. Some are just more prone to wear and environment.

If I can help further just holler.
Mark

Lonehowl

Further...a video on tuning would be real helpful I know. There are just none out there that are detailed. I have been thinking about doing something but not sure.
Mark

land cruiser

Ugh, mistake, sorry guys. Gibson is a top notch removable mouthpiece call. Works like a charm and I actually bought both regular and magnum. Buckner is the one I have an issue with and they are the ones won't return my calls. Fixed in the first post.

Will

Thanks for the replies guys. I was actually considering a Gibson.

Lonehowl

And you should get one..they are great calls. Getting different calls is fun, Darrel Gibson has a variety of calls and call styles. Cant go wrong there.
Mark

Lonehowl

Ok....so I was bored and made a little video with my opinions on this. Not real in depth but hopefully helps somebody.
Your going to have to forgive my stammering and stuttering, I have some crazy allergies right now lol.
Anyways here goes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIAZ70iaxKY

NCbowjunkie

Liked the video Mark , maybe this will help some guys that need to clean their call, if the person using the call will drop their bottom jaw some while calling then that will help collect saliva before it gets in the call. I loved seeing the boxwood crow call in the background that I made.

Lonehowl

Thanks man, that 15 minutes of your life youll never get back lol.

I left out so much, but then again Im not a good teacher or explainer of things, which is pretty obvious.

Mark