OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone else?

Started by Terry, April 08, 2018, 09:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

Anyone else have issues with their lips first thing in the morning? I struggle keeping a seal with mine the first hour I'm up. I'm starting to work on lip excercises to be able to do quietly before I leave the house to hunt. I can practice in the truck on the way to hunt, but it's often not a long drive. Sounds stupid, but it's a struggle to properly use a trumpet in the morning for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Happy

Can't say I have had that issue. Course  usually i am running a diaghram call on my way to hunt. That may limber them up.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Jacobson

The only time I have issues is when the temperature is around 38 degrees or below in the morning. This Happens in Wisconsin a lot and it is very hard to sound good on a trumpet, because the lips just don't work well. I keep telling myself that just run the trumpet quietly and that helps some. It stands to reason for me as during this time of year I also will carry a box call that has a lower tone with softer woods.

EZ

Yes. And I run calls almost every day of the year. First thing in the morning my lips a still a little "sleepy". I can still run the call well, but I have work at it for a while.

gergg

I noticed that a bit too, so I have been warming up on the ride to my spot and that seems to work for me.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

eorlando

That's funny Gregg and I were just talking about this the other day. I have the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Terry

Glad I'm not the only one. Thought maybe something was wrong with me!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

land cruiser

I have the same problem with the trumpet and ironically mouth calls are not comfortable for the first five minutes either. Same for vocal cords, first few sentences of the day I come off as if I have been either drinking and smoking heavily or have some type of congestion going on. News anchor taught me to hum for a minute prior to talking and it works, I guess there is a way to warm up the lips as well. In the truck on the way to the hunt   

Abomb

I was thinking this same thing the other morning. It was a cold morning and was tough to produce those same sounds I'm used to getting

jlhigh023

yep

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chris O

I noticed this weekend that wearing gloves sure seemed to dampen the volume on my calling. At least to my ears behind the call. Someone mentioned in another post about practicing with gloves and a face mask that was a great tip and I thank them for that. I am glad I practiced with gloves before I went. And yes Terry there are times in the morning where I notice I cannot get a good enough seal to kee . I can yelp and cluck good enough just can't kee.Interesting post

Abomb

Chris O i noticed the gloves as well. I had one pair that I wore that was a thin pair. I lost one of those and had to use a thicker pair and could tell a big difference in the volume with the thicker ones

chefrific

Honestly I think it's my nerves that get the better of me first thing in the morning or when a bird responds.  I can sound (at least to my ears) great in the truck riding down to hunt, but as soon as I get started or if a bird surprises me, I'm a nervous wreck with adrenaline, and I can't get my lips to cooperate for a bit.  I have to do some calm deep breaths and get my composure together and the sound comes back.
It's like a professional boxer once said:  "Everybody has a plan... until they are hit."  I can sound great when relaxed and practicing at home, but all bets are off when that first close gobble hits me.  I'm a mess. 

batsonbe

I can't play my trumpet very well in the morning I can in the evenings. Always thought it was a mental thing

slicksbeagles1

I have the same trouble but I think mine comes from drinking coffee if I don't drink coffee I have no problem