turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two Decoys Versus One Decoy?

Started by model94, April 07, 2018, 09:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

model94

I hunt Public Central Forest in Wisconsin so I do not use a Tom or Jake decoy for safety reasons. I use one decoy because when the Tom comes in I want him looking at my decoy verses me. I have read that many guys like putting out 2 hens verses one. What would be the advantage of two Hens versus one hen? If that gobbler is going to hang up expecting the hens to come to him, I am not sure how two hens are going to help that situation?
I carry DSD so I would rather carry one decoy versus 2 decoys. I will carry no decoys if the terrain permits this too,

Thanks for your input.

Happy

In my opinion when dealing with hen decoys. If one won't do it then two probably won't either. Now in all honesty I think your better off with none. All I have ever used decoys - wise has been hen decoys. To be honest I don't think I have killed a bird with them that wouldn't have died anyways. I have had them hang up because of them and even skirt them. On the wrong side of course. Anymore I don't use them unless I am guiding a youngster. It gives them an idea of where to have the gun pointed and prepare for the shot.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

model94

stinkpickle

Yeah, two decoys would just offer a little better visibility, but that's about it. 

model94

That's what I thought as well. Thank you for your reply.

Twowithone

Its been 50/50 when I use decoys then I get the deer coming into them their snorting up a storm I always beleived turkeys knew something was up when their snortin. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

mtns2hunt

I guess I am always the odd man out. I would use two as I believe that the more decoys out the more they will hold the tom's attention. To really get him fired up and especally if it is an older tom. I will put out as many as 10 or fifteen. I will also have the tom decoy attached to a gizmo I have that will allow me to turn him around. Pulled many older birds in this way.  Lot of fun.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

rock54

i understand your safety issue, but i too, as mtns2hunt, use decoys in my set up,  2 feeding hens 10-15 yards
away from my jake over submissive hen, primary setup, this set up has dropd many birds for my wife and i.  i think it all depends on the moods of the turkeys, to every set up and every day....good luck russ

model94

I would love to use Dsd Jake but it is public land and I move alot and no fields to hunt. Thanks for your replies

silvestris

Charles L. Jordan didn't use decoys and neither do I.  Nothing repulses me more than seeing a video with a gobbler running to a decoy.  I pity those who refuse to learn the gamek as taught by Jordan.  Instant gratification seems to be required by most of the current "hunter".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mtns2hunt

Quote from: silvestris on April 07, 2018, 09:35:51 PM
Charles L. Jordan didn't use decoys and neither do I.  Nothing repulses me more than seeing a video with a gobbler running to a decoy.  I pity those who refuse to learn the game as taught by Jordan.  Instant gratification seems to be required by most of the current "hunter".

Charles L. Jordon I assume was the guy who wrote the first book on turkey hunting? Lot of good books written since then. The wonderful thing about Turkey hunting is that it is a one or two person endeavor. How you hunt or chose not to hunt is entirely up to the hunter. Turkey hunting is not what I call an organized sport such as basketball, baseball or even football. You can make up the rules and strategies as you go and there are no penalties unless you break the law which is extremely liberal in many respects. So if you choose to follow an old guy dead a hundred years or more that is entirely your prerogative. Personally I will write my own books, play by my own rules and my own strategies so long as what I do is legal.

I have killed many turkeys without decoys but also with decoys, I hunt out of blinds and not always when it rains. I get disgusted when I hear from the so called purists who are resistant to change. I heard it when I switched from a recuve to a compound. I heard it when I started shooting a crossbow and when I switched to an inline from sidelock. Save your pity and as for instant gratification I hunt turkeys 30 or more days a year and usually in more than one state. I always save one tag for the last couple days so I can continue to hunt the full season frequently allowing several birds to pass. Is that instant gratification?  I hate stereotypes. There are always two sides to coin.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ilbucksndux

I kinda think that in my area at least one is plenty. I can only think of 5 turkeys that I have killed(or seen killed) when we were using a decoy. I mostly hunt in the woods and really dont need one,Im not a purist. I always have a hen decoy stuffed in my vest.
Gary Bartlow

model94

Thanks for all the replies to my ORGINAL POST if two decoys are better than one and not turning this post into DECOY WAR!!
Thanks again for everyone that replied to my question

Marc

I am no purist either...

I began turkey hunting in my 20's and was weaned on duck hunting (over decoys).  When I first started turkey hunting, I made the assumption that decoys were pretty much of a necessity.  When turkeys do come into the decoys, I enjoy the interaction (which is quite different from a bird searching out a hen he cannot see).

To the topic, if I were at a bar, and a pretty gal was givin' me the eye, I might strategically wait for her to come to me...  Were there two gals givin' me the eye, I would more likely meander over to them.

I would guess that two decoys would create more visibility, as well as potentially more stimulation to come over and breed.  I know I have had a lot of birds hang up on a single hen decoy...  Maybe had I had two decoys, some of these birds would have come in???  I have no idea.

As it stands currently in the woods, my impression is if you called them almost in range with no decoy, they will continue forward motion looking for that hen that is calling, whereas they might hang up on a decoy.  Open ground is a different story, and I feel that decoys can be beneficial.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

gobblerhead

If you are hunting in an open field or larger clearing in the woods even I like to use 2 decoys at times 1 or sometimes both being a feeding hen or a feeder and the other being a regular old walking hen. That being said if you know the direction they normally come from make sure u place them with their back to where he comes from. I have seen this really make an ole tom mad when he gobbles and they pay him no attention, kinda like most men and their wives, lol. Good luck!! 
Gobble Gobble Gobble.........BOOOM.....Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!