OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missouri public land ????????????

Started by Mossyoak09, April 06, 2018, 12:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyoak09

I'm thinking about heading to Franklin county, MO the last week of season. Was wondering what the pressure was like and how the bird act the last part of the season. Never turkey hunted Missouri public land but my Mississippi season hasn't been to hot this year.

fallhnt

Pressure shouldn't be to bad by then. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dtrkyman

I've hunted Missouri public several times...never had too much issue getting away from others and typically kill a bird! Think I am 4 out of 5 maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossyoak09

Anyone hunted around Meramec Ca in Franklin county

Ozarkoutfitter8

I'm from Missouri and hunt a lot of public land. Third week will be tough but you probably wont have any problem getting away from guys because most are tagged out or done hunting by then. That being said some of the hottest birds i've been on have been the last week if you can find one that hasn't been messed with to bad. Bring your hiking boots. Good Luck!

RussM311

Haven't hunted Meramac CA, but have hunted several other areas ....  I think you will have a good hunt, as Missouri really has a lot of birds to hunt.   The thing I have found is to hunt the outside perimeter of the CA.....  for some reason, most hunters tend to hunt towards the middle of these areas.  I think you will be impressed with the care that Missouri gives to their CA's....  much better than here in Louisiana and your state of Mississippi.  BTW..... I almost always hunt Missouri during the last week of their season, and am still impressed with how many birds will work. 

Ozark

I would pick a conservation area further from St. Louis.

Ozark

No need to drive that far north in Missouri.  There is great hunting in the Ozarks and lots of public land.

Mossyoak09

I'm not dead set on Meramec yet. I figured those CAs in that area seen a lot of pressure. My wife and two small boys are taggin along with me so I'm trying to find a place close to town they will have plenty to do during the day. Does Franklin county have the highest harvest every year because it holds more birds or has more hunters.

mightyjoeyoung

All I ever huneed for 6 years when I was stationed at whiteman except one hunt on private land bordering the MTNF.   Killed birds every year.  Just have to be willing to go further, earlier and stay flexible. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Mossyoak09

Anyone have any suggestions on places to go the more I look into Missouri the more intimidating it gets that's a lot of public ground to narrow down.

bghunter777

Iv hunted quite a bit between KC and Springfield quite a few birds on many of the public areas but VERY tricky birds some of the hardest public land birds I'v hunted was successful primarily because the number of birds was good.

Bolandstrutters

I'm from Franklin County MO and I would agree that you need to get a little further away from the city.  That said, I pass three conservation areas on my way to my hunting spot and didn't see a single truck the past two days.  Maybe the guys hunting it are afraid of the dark??  I'd personally rather hit Mark Twain National Forest.  A lot better chance of getting on some non pressured birds if you are willing to put in some leg work.  A lot of our conservation areas are fairly small.  MTNF is hundreds of thousands of acres. 

Mossyoak09

Anyone have any input on Woodson K Woods