OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 20 gauge build.....2019

Started by RED NECK, April 06, 2018, 08:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I have decided to start a 20 gauge build for a mossberg 500 to have complete for next spring as I have my other builds complete.I want to go with a 500 because of the aftermarket accessories.

Which is your favorite stock to add to these guns.I like the look of the obsession camo and the 22" barrel version but I am open to any build out there.This will give me something to work on and get ready by next March,I am in no rush and honestly don't see myself picking the gun up until summer....I just would like some ideas and some pictures.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

howl

If you do a short barrel and pistol grip, you might as well get a folding stock. I had my 500 set up so that, carried slung muzzle down, it only reached down to my hip. The sling studs were are the barrel and in the pistol grip. It was handy when I covered a lot of ground trying to strike gobblers.

davisd9

Built this 500 before the 2016 season.  I replaced the wood stick with an ATI pistol grip. The wood forearm was replaced with a hogue rubber forearm. Only thing I wish was different was a 22" barrel over the 26. Going to try and shoot it this offseason to see if it will shoot bead as I think I want to take the scope off. Has been a great gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

RED NECK

I like that look,I could build that gun for about 600 dollars,I don't mind the 26" barrel.I have 2 short barrel 20 gauge and 2 other in the 24-26" range already.Was it a pain to get ati stock to fit? or did it fit nice and easy?I would either paint the gun or wrap it with a kit.I already have a few black turkey guns.

RED NECK

I may buy the obsession camo 500 with the 22" barrel and then purchase the ati stock and a gun wrap kit and wrap it in obsession camo.I like both types but like the obsession 22" option more.I have never owned a mossberg yet.

davisd9

The stock fit with easy, but there is like a 1/16" on each side the receiver. Will not notice it unless you look for it. I will try to get pictures if you would like. Another suggestion I would make is a tactical safety. It is a little larger and makes taking the safety off easier when a bird is coming in.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Don't get in a hurry, from what i understand from Mossberg, they are coming out with a new 20 gauge turkey gun for 2019....this was from the people at this years NWTF convention ....

Dallen92

Here is my mossy 500 that I built a few years back.  It has a 22 inch barrel and an ATI pistol grip stock.  Wrapped it in a mossy oak wrap and topped it off with a fastfire. It shoots tss 9 handloads real well through a .575 undertaker choke.  Does around 300-330 in the 10 at 40.

Flintridge

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 07, 2018, 08:54:38 PM
Don't get in a hurry, from what i understand from Mossberg, they are coming out with a new 20 gauge turkey gun for 2019....this was from the people at this years NWTF convention ....

When do you think they will release info about the gun?  This fall?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Flintridge on April 10, 2018, 01:18:31 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on April 07, 2018, 08:54:38 PM

When do you think they will release info about the gun?  This fall?
Yes this fall...

Izzyjoe

Thanks for the heads up, I'm also in the mood to build something, but I'm leaning towards an over/under 410, but I could be in for a 20 ga also.

bpsmag1026

I don't have any pictures but I put a Hogue stock on a 20 ga 500, it's not a pistol grip but it has a really good feel to it.

Dallen92

Quote from: davisd9 on April 06, 2018, 10:14:45 PM
The stock fit with easy, but there is like a 1/16" on each side the receiver. Will not notice it unless you look for it. I will try to get pictures if you would like. Another suggestion I would make is a tactical safety. It is a little larger and makes taking the safety off easier when a bird is coming in.

I ended up shaving the stock down to align exactly with the reciever on mine before I put the wrap on. 

tree-rat sniper

I bought a mossy 500 20 ga turkey special with the factory X choke several years ago. Still have it as a back up to my Franchi compact 20. Some folks like to badmouth the mossy because of the loose fitting fore-end, but it's never failed to go bang!
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!