OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Hevi shot

Started by Fastcat, April 20, 2011, 08:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

I have a box and a half of Remington's hevi-shot, # 5 3.5 inch left over in my ammo cabinet.  Is that comparable to Hevi-13? #5? I am setting up a new gun and don't really want to waste time trying to pattern it with a shell that doesn't exist anymore.

jbob870

I'm not real sure about this, but I think Hevi-13 was the company that made the hevishot for Remington. But remingtons hevi shot now days isn't the same of what you have left over. hope this helps. Jbob

surehuntsalot

Quote from: jbob870 on April 20, 2011, 08:59:27 PM
I'm not real sure about this, but I think Hevi-13 was the company that made the hevishot for Remington. But remingtons hevi shot now days isn't the same of what you have left over. hope this helps. Jbob

you are right,the old stuff is/was way better than the stuff they are peddling now
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Fastcat on April 20, 2011, 08:54:39 PM
I have a box and a half of Remington's hevi-shot, # 5 3.5 inch left over in my ammo cabinet.  Is that comparable to Hevi-13? #5? I am setting up a new gun and don't really want to waste time trying to pattern it with a shell that doesn't exist anymore.

In my experience at least, those shells will not pattern the same as Hevi-13 shells. All the components are quite different as well as the m.v.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Fastcat

Cool thanks for the input!  I guess they will just get burned up on pleasent walks in the fall.  Spring hunts are way more business like!

Reloader

The old Rem hevi 6s were descent shells, they would give someone a bonafide 50yd thumper.  I've never patterned the 5s, but I would imagine they would outdo lead.  I was able to get in the 170s with the 3.5 1-3/4 #6 loads, 140ish would be my guess for the 5s and you might make 50yds with them. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I pattterned th 5's in the 3.5" 1 and 7/8oz loads and they will easily kill a turkey at 50yds.  Those Rem Hevi-Shot shells shoot as good if not better than the Hevi-13 #5's from what I have seen if you compare the size loads to each other.  The Remington 3.5" 1 and 3.4oz Hevi-Shot load of 6's was a great load.  Around 180 or so at 40.