OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wingbone call

Started by dirtnap, April 20, 2011, 08:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtnap

I recently acquired the wings off of a freshly killed hen turkey(hit by a car).  I am wanting to make a couple of yelpers out of the bones.  I made one about 18 years ago following the little tips in the back of field &stream.  I never could run the thing and can't find it now. 

At any rate, I know the general concept of doing it.  However, I am sure someone on here knows some tricks to making the call alot easier and more realistic sounding.  I mainly use diaphragms and probably will continue to.

I just thought it would be a good idea to capitalize on this find.  If anybody has any tutorials or tips I sure would appreciate it.

drmarc

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."   Thomas Jefferson

bushwhacker

A wingbone, IMO, is the most realistic sounding call that you can use. In my experience, a pressured tom will answer a bone when he won't answer any other call. I hunt public land in SE Missouri, and they get tons of pressure from guys just riding around messing with them before season.

I have a matched set of wingbone's that I had made. They are the small wingbone out of a hen, and the barrel is walnut turned on a lathe to match the old turpin call barrels.