OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Spooked birds off the roost  (Read 1720 times)

Offline bhatcher1993

Spooked birds off the roost
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
Yeah I done it! Smh! I scouted this piece of wma about a week ago and was able to roost a couple toms. Well this morning they weren’t in the he Same area but on the road bed going in there ! I walked right under them and they flew off to the adjacent property! How long before those birds will be back to normal! Anyone got any experience with this situation?  Thanks guys!!  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Spooked birds off the roost
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:14 PM »
I did that 2 years ago, walked right up to him, he was roosted above my blind and I never knew it until he took off out of the tree about half an hour after I got into the blind and scared the crap out of me. They were back the next day and after that I had to move my blind. I seem to have a habit of setting up under them the first day or two.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »
Actually if it is early season and the first few days I'd be right back in the area around late morning, he'll be looking to hook up with his harem. If he has been spooked a couple times he'll change roost but be back the next day. It takes a good bit to move them off an area they have hens in. I wouldn't sweet it

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »
Agreed, he will be back soon enough. I would also think about setting up to hunt in that spot later in the same afternoon.

I usually keep a mouth call in while walking in to my spot in the morning. If I bump a hen and it's not too early I will do a fly down cackle to cover up my mistake.
Phil 4:13

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
He only has a head this big ............he has already forgot about you by the time he hits the ground.
Gary Bartlow