OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Double X 3" #5

Started by tha bugman, April 03, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I was impressed with this load at 30 yards, however at 40 it seemed to just blow up.  20 yards was just too ugly to post  ;D

SCDieselDawg

I never could get the Jellyhead chokes to pattern lead that well. Kicks always seemed to like Winch XX and High Velocity loads.

trkehunr93

My Mossberg 500 really likes that same load with the Kicks .655.  It's not huge numbers but and even pattern at 40.

10gaugemag

Best 10" I have ever shot w that load is 87.   

Not sure if it likes choked or if it is just a poor patterning load. Never hear of many getting outstanding patterns with the 1 3/4 oz load of #5s.

Thought of trying something in the .655 range.

coyote1

I don't count the shot in the 10" but my moss. 500 with a hevi .662 will shoot a killing pattern at 40 with those shells all day long. I would guess 100+ in the ten. Very even hunting pattern.

Izzyjoe

Several years ago I was testing different loads and chokes, and in my 26" 870 the undertaker choke went 92 in the 10". Now back then I didn't count pellet holes, I was just looking for even patterns. But I did save most of my old target, and years latter went back and counted pellet holes. Now that the longbeards have come out I've stocked up on them, but I still have a small stash of Win XX 5's, but I don't think I'll ever hunt with them again, not that they wouldn't work, but I've got over 70rds of LB's so that should last a while!

Yoder409

Try that shell through a Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full tube.

Also..................looks like your POI is considerably left of your POA at 40 yards.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

LaLongbeard

Old 870 with a Remington Super full old Supreme HV 3" #5s (black box and shell)supposed to be the same as the XX loads.
101 in the 10 @40 pattern was a bit to high if it been held lower there would have been more in the head/spine. Still huntable  pattern. Killed a Rio at 40 yards with one of these shells last April killed another with the 3.5 Nitro 4x5x7 and there was absolutely no difference no flop dead Gobblers. I just bought couple boxes of the double X if they pattern as well as the old Surpremes I'd have no problem using them. Anything under 35 yards (which is my usual distance in the woods, dead Gobbler) The secon pic is 20 yards for reference but just about any shell looks good at 20
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

I don't have pattern pics nor do I remember numbers. But an awful lot of birds have been killed w em. I personally went back to em w maybe a 1/2 season between using em. Been using the load since around 1990 if I'm recalling correctly.
May not be the flat out most perfect load numbers wise but there's no big holes in my patterns and it's hard to miss w it.
I think it's a great load.

paboxcall

My Winchester 1300 preferred a Hastings .660 for Win Supreme #5 lead - that was the red hull 2 oz. load. Wow those things kick you when they go off.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

jbrown

I shot the Win xx 3" ,2oz of #6's ,I had great luck and great patterns with a Kicks 650.

10gaugemag

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 29, 2018, 03:40:14 PM
Try that shell through a Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full tube.

Also..................looks like your POI is considerably left of your POA at 40 yards.
[/quote
Just got a XXX Comp n Choke for my Gold last week. Tried these 1 3/4 oz #5s with it through my 24" barrel. It did shoot a better pattern than my Star Dot but not super impressive. I will put my 26" barrel on and see how it does.

About done shooting the 10" cirlcle and going back to shooting turkey head targets. Figure if I can put 6-8 or even more the kill zone at 40 on 3-4 consecutive shots it will work on the real thing just fine.

lmbunch69

I shoot a super mag with 3.5 #5s out of an Indian creek 665. Had 65 in the ten at 40. Still killed my first bird with it this season but looking for better. Any choke recommendations?

tnanh

Quote from: lmbunch69 on May 06, 2019, 12:33:27 PM
I shoot a super mag with 3.5 #5s out of an Indian creek 665. Had 65 in the ten at 40. Still killed my first bird with it this season but looking for better. Any choke recommendations?
Remington Ventilator with that shell has done mid 120s to high 130s in 10 inch circle in several different 870s I have shot. If you can find one you will probably be happy with it with Winchester supreme or XX 5s and 6s. Have never shot Long beards through one though.