OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Try not to laugh at me to hard  (Read 9730 times)

Offline limbhanger777

Re: Try not to laugh at me to hard
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
I'm not a professional by any means, but I've found that finding the right call that fits your mouth makes a huge difference. I tried several before I found a call I could actually make sound like a turkey.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 10:21:26 AM »
I'm not a professional by any means, but I've found that finding the right call that fits your mouth makes a huge difference. I tried several before I found a call I could actually make sound like a turkey.
I found that Quaker Boy were the worst for me, they felt so thick in my mouth. I bought some from another seller here, same thick feeling. Not his products problem, my problem, read others posting on him and he turns out a quality product.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »

Lot of good advice on here. I would especially pay attention to the you tube videos. I really like Scott Ellis sound files as he will teach good habits as will most competition callers.

I personally started mouth calling when there was not a large section of calls available and certainly no you tube. My teacher was an old farmer (well he's old now, LOL) he taught me how to deer hunt and call turkeys. You really only need a couple of calls to be successful turkey hunting but it is fun learning as many as possible. I think the  most important thing, after finding the right call) is practice, practice and more practice. You will also find that what you learn will stick with you year after year. Just my 2 cents
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 12:32:08 AM »

Lot of good advice on here. I would especially pay attention to the you tube videos. I really like Scott Ellis sound files as he will teach good habits as will most competition callers.

I personally started mouth calling when there was not a large section of calls available and certainly no you tube. My teacher was an old farmer (well he's old now, LOL) he taught me how to deer hunt and call turkeys. You really only need a couple of calls to be successful turkey hunting but it is fun learning as many as possible. I think the  most important thing, after finding the right call) is practice, practice and more practice. You will also find that what you learn will stick with you year after year. Just my 2 cents
Thank you for the advise. I bought the mouth call mechanics set and did as stated in the video but ran into a problem, when he tells you how to check to see how your tongue pressure is to find out which one you need I could not do that, my underbite made it so that when I tried to get my mouth open even a little bit my tongue was completely away from it when it got to where I could see it. It did show me that one of them are completely out for me though, I can't do anything with it but there are two I like how I sound with them in. I know one that worked was the center cut one and the other I do not remember. Here is the link to the set if anybody would like to get it. https://www.callingallturkeys.com/mouthcallmechanics
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 11:12:46 PM »
I think your yelps are killer when yougo from high to rasp. Your purrs on on the aggressive side like a fighting purr as others have stated relax and try to as light of pressure as possible. Im not sure how the underbite effects call position.For your purrs try incorporating more lips.For clucks the word pluck never work for me but tuk does.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
I think your yelps are killer when yougo from high to rasp. Your purrs on on the aggressive side like a fighting purr as others have stated relax and try to as light of pressure as possible. Im not sure how the underbite effects call position.For your purrs try incorporating more lips.For clucks the word pluck never work for me but tuk does.
Thank you for the comment. I have a hard time with the lip flutter and an incredibly hard time with doing it with my tongue (Purrs) I kinda vibrate my uvula and have been doing it that way but I do agree it comes out more aggressive than I would like. I picked up the mouth call mechanics set and there are two in that that I am very comfortable with, I could not see how it positions in my mouth though, when I opened my mouth wide enough to see the tongue position my tongue would be completely away from the call because of the under bite. I will make a recording when I am feeling a bit better.

John Koenig: