OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I thought it was long gone! Edit: I added a sound file  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
I thought it was long gone! Edit: I added a sound file
« on: April 02, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »
Back around I guess around 99 I bought this at an NWTF Convention in Batavia, New York along with a scratch box. I still have part of the scratch box but the lid was lost somehow.

After my car accident in 2001 I used to pay friends to come in and clean for me because I was in to much pain to even stand in front of the sink and do dishes and that is how the the top from the scratchbox was lost and I thought this had been thrown out.

I was going through some stuff in the closet today as I am having a oak bookshelf I had a friend built for me delivered tomorrow and was getting some stuff out of the closet so he could pull totes of books I have out of there as I can't because of the shoulder surgery and in one of the totes I found this, it is like finding an old friend. That might sound stupid but after my car accident I lost being able to do so much of what I used to do until 2 or 3 years ago and this reminds me of all the enthusiasm that I had back then when I first started turkey hunting and that I have felt again in the past 2 or 3 years since I have been able to hunt again. Funny how a few pieces of bone can make you smile.

I have no idea as to the maker, but it is very easy to play.

I sound horrible on it I think but here is a sound file. I think I was going to fast. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/wingbone-turkey-call
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:10:39 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: I thought it was long gone!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »
Now all you have to do is practice and then go hunting. Good find.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »
Now all you have to do is practice and then go hunting. Good find.
I have two to calls I really have to practice, this and the long box that    Cut N Run gave me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
Great inspiration and congrats on finding a long lost friend

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »
Great inspiration and congrats on finding a long lost friend
Thanks, if I get one this year I will try to make one myself though I have always understood that you want to use bones from a hen not a gobbler, any truth to that do you know?

John Koenig:

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: I thought it was long gone! Edit: I added a sound file
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Ez may comment on that. Mark Sharpe I believe uses all hen bones but not sure about Ez. Both great call makers

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »
Ez may comment on that. Mark Sharpe I believe uses all hen bones but not sure about Ez. Both great call makers
Okay, thanks.

John Koenig:

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
Thanks, if I get one this year I will try to make one myself though I have always understood that you want to use bones from a hen not a gobbler, any truth to that do you know?

That is not "true."  Here is my all gobbler bone yelper from EZ. Manipulating the air flow can sound like a hen or an old gobbler. Gives me some versatility in the woods. A killer call.   :icon_thumright:

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:33:05 PM »

That is not "true."  Here is my all gobbler bone yelper from EZ. Manipulating the air flow can sound like a hen or an old gobbler. Gives me some versatility in the woods. A killer call.   :icon_thumright:

Nice looking call. How bad did my sound file sound? I am not very varied in what I do with it, not sure what I am doing to be honest and not many good videos to tell you what to do.

John Koenig:

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:29 PM »

Nice looking call. How bad did my sound file sound? I am not very varied in what I do with it, not sure what I am doing to be honest and not many good videos to tell you what to do.
You are on the right path sound-wise, not bad for just picking it up.....practice like crazy and you will have that thing spitt'n feathers before you know it.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »

You are on the right path sound-wise, not bad for just picking it up.....practice like crazy and you will have that thing spitt'n feathers before you know it.
Thanks, hope to play it a bit in the woods next month. I am thinking the dog and the GF are ready to abandon me with all the practicing I have been doing on various calls. I'm going to miss that dog.

John Koenig:

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 06:29:13 AM »
Well, sounds like you have a good starting point. Try choking off the end more and concentrate on drawing air smoothly. It does take practice. Also, try calling softly. I think it makes you focus more on your air control.

Must feel great to find an old piece of your turkey hunting history. Cool looking, rustic sort of call.

You can make a good call out of most any turkey. I have a few "secrets", lol, to tuning them to my liking. Good luck brother!!!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 05:27:56 PM »
Well, sounds like you have a good starting point. Try choking off the end more and concentrate on drawing air smoothly. It does take practice. Also, try calling softly. I think it makes you focus more on your air control.

Must feel great to find an old piece of your turkey hunting history. Cool looking, rustic sort of call.

You can make a good call out of most any turkey. I have a few "secrets", lol, to tuning them to my liking. Good luck brother!!!
Thank you for the advise, I will try that.

John Koenig:

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »

Mr. Mark will do a multiple of combinations.  The one I have from him is a hen bone for mouth and middle piece then a young gobbler bone for the bell.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »

Mr. Mark will do a multiple of combinations.  The one I have from him is a hen bone for mouth and middle piece then a young gobbler bone for the bell.
Have a picture.

John Koenig: