OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Latex Powder

Started by 7711CustomCalls, March 27, 2018, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7711CustomCalls

New Member.

I started making mouth calls this year.  The latex I order from Pioneer has a lot of Powder on it.  This doesn't taste very good at all the first time you use the call.  How do you remove the powder or do you just says who cares? 

GobbleNut

Great question.  I have never worried about the powder but it does raise the question of whether ingesting it is healthy.  I have always assumed since the latex is mostly used in the medical industry that, unless someone has an allergy to it, there is no reason for concern.  It does have a somewhat mildly unpleasant taste about it, but I have always just "sucked it up" and ignored it.

ZachH28

I think that it may just be baby powder that pioneer puts on it, especially their proph, to keep the reeds from sticking together so bad. In my opinion, the material with the powder on it is a lot easier to stack.

ZachH28

Materials I have ordered from other suppliers don't have any powder at all. I think it just varies from place to place

bangbird

I get a slight nauseous feeling when I run new calls that have a lot of the powder on them.

Lonehowl

Rinse a call before you put it in your mouth. Powder is to keep everything from sticking together and it lets the latex slide up onto the adhesive frames without sticking so bad, on a press. If your running a hand jig it doesnt really matter.
Mark

compton30

It doesn't taste good but I just tough it out.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.