OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20ga Longbeard xr chrony results  (Read 2145 times)

Offline petemoss83

20ga Longbeard xr chrony results
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »
Just thought i would post some chrony readings i got today while shooting some 20ga longbeard xr #5 shot. Only shot two shots over the chrony.  First shot registered 1110fps. Second shot registered 1150fps. This was out of my rem 870 youth model with a 21" barrel about 3ft from the the muzzle. Thought this was interesting that they were over 100fps faster than the factory claims.  A friend of mine tested the longbeard xr #6 shot and averaged 1160 for 3 shots which is what peeked my interest in testing the #5 loads. He also tested the 12ga 3" #6 longbeards (non magnum) and averaged nearly 1300fps. Just thought i would share this info.

Offline Buford

Re: 20ga Longbeard xr chrony results
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Petemoss83:  thanks for the information!! Good to know that it's faster than advertised.    Buford

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »
 :icon_thumright: Thanks!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline Old Dominion Tom

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »
I don’t have any chronograph results to report, but I can say with certainty that the 20 gauge Longbeard XR in #6 has more than enough to get it done at 40 yards.  I took a nice bird right at 40 yards yesterday and it flat out stoned him.  I was shooting a 21” 870 with the Carlson Longbeard choke.

The Longbeard #6 does not penetrate as well as the Fed HW #7 - this did not surprise me.  Some of the stray pellets that found their way to the breast meat stayed there in the near side breast, where as I’ve seen stray HW #7 pellets completely exit or get caught in offside breast.  So this load doesn’t have the same potential as the discontinued HW #7, BUT it does everything you need at 40 yards with authority.

I just wanted to pass this field data along to those who may be uneasy about the 1000 FPS muzzle velocity that Winchester publishes with this load.  Don’t expect the same margin that the HW’s provide, but know that these loads are more than adequate for shots out to 40 yards.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:17:40 PM »
I don’t have any chronograph results to report, but I can say with certainty that the 20 gauge Longbeard XR in #6 has more than enough to get it done at 40 yards.  I took a nice bird right at 40 yards yesterday and it flat out stoned him.  I was shooting a 21” 870 with the Carlson Longbeard choke.

The Longbeard #6 does not penetrate as well as the Fed HW #7 - this did not surprise me.  Some of the stray pellets that found their way to the breast meat stayed there in the near side breast, where as I’ve seen stray HW #7 pellets completely exit or get caught in offside breast.  So this load doesn’t have the same potential as the discontinued HW #7, BUT it does everything you need at 40 yards with authority.

I just wanted to pass this field data along to those who may be uneasy about the 1000 FPS muzzle velocity that Winchester publishes with this load.  Don’t expect the same margin that the HW’s provide, but know that these loads are more than adequate for shots out to 40 yards.

good to know
it's not the harvest,it's the chase