OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: hunting in the extreme cold  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Life of Riley

hunting in the extreme cold
« on: March 31, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
To make a long story short, I've got a hunt coming up and it's not looking good at all. Snow, cold weather, one day the high temp might be 27 degrees. The next day a high of 33 and AM snow. Has anyone ever faced similar conditions? I'm not looking forward to it, because I'm guessing it's going to be "deer hunting" turkeys. I don't expect any to be working to the call in these conditions.... :TrainWreck1:

Offline jims

Re: hunting in the extreme cold
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
If you have the option I'd wait for warmer weather!  Gobblers seem to hole up similar to deer, elk, and other critters in horrible weather.  Once the sun goes out they will likely be out in full force!  It often pays to remain flexible with hunting dates with gobblers!

Offline model94

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »
I have killed them in cold windy.days. Hunt them in areas where you can block.the wind or pine plantations

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »
I would expect them to come in quiet to "check you out".
 :OGani:

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
Maryland season always starts on Apr 18. In years past, I have hunted in 3" of snow on the ground in the far western part of the state. I've worked gobbling, strutting birds in snow showers (watched strutting bird with snow gathering on his back).

Not the most ideal conditions for sure, but not an automatic fail. Breeding season is relatively short - birds will work through quite a bit of adversity to make it happen.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 07:48:01 PM »
I’ve heard some insane gobbling in weather with temps in the teens...cold clear mornings are great for gobbling birds...east facing slopes are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »
To make a long story short, I've got a hunt coming up and it's not looking good at all. Snow, cold weather, one day the high temp might be 27 degrees. The next day a high of 33 and AM snow. Has anyone ever faced similar conditions? I'm not looking forward to it, because I'm guessing it's going to be "deer hunting" turkeys. I don't expect any to be working to the call in these conditions.... :TrainWreck1:
It was 16 degrees this morning in Iowa but it was calm and They gobbled pretty good until they hit the ground. It was better than I expected I bet more wind would have made it worse

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »
Hunted New Mexico and killed one in the snow. Temps we 20 - 30 if I remember right. Those birds gobbled great and it was almost a blizzard with a lot of wind. Had the best luck in getting a response on the leeward sidenof mountains. Good luck and keep your feet dry!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline ilbucksndux

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
The last 2 weekends have been youth season here in Southern Illinois. Last weekend was cool and cloudy and they gobbled pretty good one day.The last two days however have been terrible. Yesterday morning we did find one gobbling on the roost which kinda surprised me but we got a little to close to him,and didt hear a peep the rest of the morning. Today was much the same 27* cold windy cloudy heard one on the roost and nothing after. I have never had to hunt in conditions like this and its killing me. 
Gary Bartlow