OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: which choke?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
which choke?
« on: March 31, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
I am trying to decide if I need to purchase another choke for my 20 gauge 870.I currently have the .575 Carlson non ported and the .570 tightwad ported.I am thinking of buying the longbeard xr to try out as I want to get decent patterns with the lead ammo I already own out to 40 yards.The longbeard has been the best so far but I am thinking of going to a tighter choke.I am not sure the difference between the tightwad and the longbeard xr is worth the price.I'd rather spend the money on a choke that will get me a better pattern at 40 yards then ammo.I already have at least 10 boxes of different 20 gauge turkey loads here and would rather use it up before I start spending more on other boxes.I want my gun to kill at 40 yards,but the majority of my kills have been at 25 yards....I just want that added faith...in case.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline tubecallhooks

Re: which choke?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
I just ordered a Trulock .565 after a 15min conversation on the phone with the owner. I explained to him my situation which just as yours,,alot of different ammo heavyweight 7s,,3 boxes,,hevi13 6s and 7s,,4 boxes,,4 boxes heavyweights 6s,,and 3 boxes of Win LBXR # 5s and 6s.. I told him what he felt would be my best all around choke to shoot these in and get killing patterns to 40 yrds. Im not a distance finatic with my turkey guns as like you most of my shots are taken within 25yrds or less. He told me the Turlock.565 Longbeard choke would be good with most ammo but the LBXR 6s is what is was built for and would give me my premium patterns. Im sick of buying chokes for diff ammo as most time when new crap comes out the old stuff that works gets discontinued. He also said if im not happy with it,,like all Turlock chokes,,it has a 60day warranty,,send it back for a different one or get my money back. Give them a call and see if they can help with the ammo you have. It was worth my time to speak with them. Should have mine by Wednesday. Will be posting patterns soon.. Good luck in your search

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline Buford

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
The longbeard from carlson shoots a great pattern at 40 yards. With number 5 or 6 shot longbeards.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
I did not get an awesome pattern at 40 with the lb #5.It is excellent at 30 but I was not impressed with it at 40 yards last weekend.

Offline Buford

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
Heartbreak, how many shot do think it put in ten inch circle at 40 yards? Did you have a clean barrel with no oil in it? Some of these 870 will shoot tighter if the barrel nut is one or two clicks past hand tight. I would use some choke cleaner on the inside of that choke. I used it on mine and got a lot of black crap out with a paper towel. Use a very large sheet of paper or cardboard to pattern. Hope you can get to work.    Buford

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
In my 870 20 gauge I tried

Federal 5's and 6's with and without FCW 1 5/16oz
Winchester 4's and 5's in 1.25oz and 1 5/16oz
Federal Thugs #5

Choke wise I tried the SSX .550, SumToy 562-5, Tightwad .570, Colonial Arms .570, Kicks .560, and something else.

The Colonial .570 and Federal FCW 6's was the only combo that gave decent numbers at 35yds, 91 or 96 pellets I can't remember.  None broke 100 at 35yds some barely broke 100 at 30yds. At 40yds the Winchesters were in the 40's and the Federal 6's were in the high 60's.  The Thugs were lucky to make 20 pellets at 40yds.

The most consistent patterns from mine came with the Colonial .570 followed very very closely by the Tight wad .570.  The SSX was the worst from mine.

I wish you luck on making the 20 gauge give you good numbers at 40yds with lead loads.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
Thanks,I have my barrel polished and I have no reason to try a bigger piece of cardboard,the pattern did not stay closed enough,I don't count holes in paper but i wouldn't have had to count past 5 if i did.The pattern was non existent at 40 yards...I don't chase numbers but 8-10 pellets where i need them is not to much to ask.Time to try something else,I purchased long beard #6's and have mag blends on the way.All I want is the confidence that it will kill at 40 yards, and I definitely do not so far.

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
LB 6's seem to be doing good out to 40, and the mag blends have done real well for a lot of people. I think you'll be happy with one of those loads. If you can find them H-13 #6's or#7's would be my next choice if neither of those work for ya. stick to it you'll find something that shoot 's good for you and then your gonna love the little 20.