OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Smoked Breast Recipe  (Read 2996 times)

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Smoked Breast Recipe
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
Got me a trager since last season and would like to try to do some breast on it this spring..Was curious if anyone has some ways/recipes of fixing one on a smoker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Smoked Breast Recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »
Brine brine brine!  I like to pat dry and coat in oil and roll in basil, fennel, garlic, oregano, cayenne and black pepper and let rest at room temp 30 mins minimum. No salt, that's what the brine is for. Leave the skin on or I have taken a small disposable aluminum cake pan and put some bacon ends in it and poke some holes in the pan. Cut some slots in the breast so the pork drippings will stay on the breast. Put the pan on the rack above the breast. As the fatty bacon ends render  they'll drip down onto the breast. I always "smoke/bake" at 275+ deg and do a heavy smoke.

Offline kyturkeyhunter4

• Longbeard
Re: Smoked Breast Recipe
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »
I will have to try that recipe out WNCTracker that sounds pretty good

Offline kcrebel

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:53:57 PM »
I never brine.  I cook on a Blazn Grillworks Grid Iron pellet grill. 
I use Olive Oil and a McCormick Sweet and Smoky dry rub to coat the breast that I have cut into strips. 
Takes about half hour at 350 and they are fantastic! 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:55:37 AM »
I do mine and little different. I dry rub in what ever you want.  Creo seasoning 70% and apple pie spice 30% mix is one of my favorite.  Then set for at least 12 hours.  Place flat in a pan and inject 2-3 oz of olive oil and then smoke slowly to 160-165 internal.  I like this on hickory.

Second is use a general BBQ rub like head country and blend it 50/50 with dark brown sugar.  Rub a heavy rub on boneless skinless whole turkey breast and again slow smoke to 160-165.  I like this on fruit wood like cherry.  No need to inject as the brown sugar will carmelize and keep in the moisture.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 02:32:22 AM »
I have never brined any of the breasts I have smoked. I like gooserbat like cherry or apple wood under mine. pecan is also good. I rub any variety of dry rubs on mine and smoke them. I don't leave mine in any longer than 3 hours, and it is some good and plenty moist. Ive taken em straight off the bird and rubbed em up and put them on the smoke. Never had any complaints from myself or others.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »
I always brine fowl before smoking. The meat is more tender, and holds more juice. The salt is equally distributed in the meat too.

Im curious why those of you who posted do not brine your turkey breast?

Sometimes I'll buy a bottle of liquid crab boil and mix in with the brine for a different flavor. Then I do a BBQ type rub.

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 06:48:31 AM »
just never have... no real reason for not doing it, just have had good results without brining and don't see a reason to change.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
I always brine fowl before smoking. The meat is more tender, and holds more juice. The salt is equally distributed in the meat too.

Im curious why those of you who posted do not brine your turkey breast?

Sometimes I'll buy a bottle of liquid crab boil and mix in with the brine for a different flavor. Then I do a BBQ type rub.

I don't bring mine simply because I don't feel like I need to.  Now I've brined whole turkeys and undoubtedly it is amazing.  There's so many ways to get good results when smoking meat.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Smoked Breast Recipe
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:09:16 AM »
I do mine and little different. I dry rub in what ever you want.  Creo seasoning 70% and apple pie spice 30% mix is one of my favorite.  Then set for at least 12 hours.  Place flat in a pan and inject 2-3 oz of olive oil and then smoke slowly to 160-165 internal.  I like this on hickory.

Second is use a general BBQ rub like head country and blend it 50/50 with dark brown sugar.  Rub a heavy rub on boneless skinless whole turkey breast and again slow smoke to 160-165.  I like this on fruit wood like cherry.  No need to inject as the brown sugar will carmelize and keep in the moisture.

I’m going to try both of these Thanks Sam!!

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »

I’m going to try both of these Thanks Sam!!

Just so you know do the second method with the brown sugar on the rack not in a pan
NWTF Booth 1623

Offline countryboy3006

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »
I Brine mine overnight then the next morning I pull them out and pat them dry then brush oil on and put a rub on it and wrap in plastic wrap.  I leave it sit in the fridge like this until I grill it later that evening.  Here is the brine and rub i use
 The Brine
•   2qts water
•   1/4cup kosher salt
•   1/4cup brown sugar
•   2-3cloves garliccrushed

Rub
•   2tablespoons brown sugar
•   1teaspoon kosher salt
•   1teaspoon chili powder
•   1/2teaspoon oregano
•   1/2teaspoon cumin

Ill set my Traeger  to 350 with cherry or apple pellets and cook till the meat reaches 165 degrees.  Then the most important step is to pull the breasts off the grill, wrap them in aluminum foil, wrap in a towel and put them in a cooler for 1/2 to 1 hour depending on how much time you have.  Take them out and slice.  Best way I have made turkey breasts and only way I can get my wife to eat them.

Offline chadly

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
I've never smoked a wild bird but I have done several store bought.  I'm going to smoke a 22lbs bird this weekend.  This is a youtube link I found for smoking turkey.  We really like it.  This will be the third time I've tried it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5t3H-e-2x4

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
Smoked my first wild bird yesterday, bird was from 2016 in a vacuum sealed bag. Pulled out both breasts trimmed them up removed tendons and such. Brined 24hrs, rinsed, patted dry, and rubbed in sweet N smokey seasoning wrapped in Bacon. Tied the bundles with twin and set in the smoker at 225F ran apple and hickory chips for 3Hrs until 170 degrees. Pulled off and double wrapped in foil placed in a cooler. Sliced 1/4in thick cross grain BBQ sauce on the side, had awesome flavor and could cut with a fork my wife raved about it and the kids ate it like candy. Had to fight to have enough leftovers to make a flavor packed version of Turkey corn soup (some of the smoked bacon will be added) which will be served at Hunting Camp this weekend.

Only thing I will do different next time is pull off at 165 center temps as the outsides seemed a bit overdone although not tough but dried a bit.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
Turkey breast and smoke taste so good to me I just use salt and pepper as a dry rub. The main thing is don't let it dry out. Baste in butter while it's cooking to make it extra juicy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro