turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Halloran Box Call Question

Started by Jbhsgs3699, March 30, 2018, 01:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbhsgs3699

Have a Macassar Ebony/Walnut currently, love it, thinking about getting another box call from David. Which one would you recommend I purchase? Purpleheart/Cedar, Macassar Ebony/Black Limba or some other combo?

Thanks
Jay

nyhunter

I'm having the same problem, i have the same call as you and can't decide what i want next.

vt35mag

Purpleheart over Cedar.  Those two boxes are his best IMO.

jed clampett

letinmfly

If David has any Chestnut ask him to make you a Mac Ebony over Chestnut.  I bought from David when he was a kid and first started out and to this day it's one of the best sounding boxcalls I've ever owned/heard.  Still kicking myself in the arse fir selling it.   :character0029:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

TauntoHawk

Quote from: jed clampett on March 30, 2018, 05:09:32 PM
Are all his boxes real raspy??
David seems to build his calls real aggressive sounding, loud and raspy

Either you love em or hate em

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

beardhunter87

I LOVE my Ebony Walnut. His boxes to me are great. Definitely have a raspy realistic high low sound. I have a Ebony Poplar that called in a bird youth season last year.

870BkWht

Quote from: Jbhsgs3699 on March 30, 2018, 01:44:37 PM
Have a Macassar Ebony/Walnut currently, love it, thinking about getting another box call from David. Which one would you recommend I purchase? Purpleheart/Cedar, Macassar Ebony/Black Limba or some other combo?

Thanks
Jay

I ordered the Ebony/Limba by mistake and sent it back to him to exchange for the Ebony/Walnut.  Both calls sound very similar to my ear.

If I were buying another one, Id by the Purple Heart / Cedar or Elder / Jatoba

jed clampett

I have a purple heart cedar I would sell!!

Jbhsgs3699

chefrific

Probably purple heart/cedar.  Similar to the mac/ebony but a little higher pitched to my ear.
Like another user said, all his boxes are aggressive and raspy.  Both myself and a few birds seem to like them.

Jgarrett

John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida