turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need some help picking a turkey choke

Started by Dgallagher1129, March 30, 2018, 11:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgallagher1129

I just bought a Benelli nova. Trying to decide on a choke size. .650- .665. I'll be shooting 3 1/2 shells. Not sure what shot size yet, does it make a difference with the choke size? Looking at jebs chokes.

reynolds243

yes shot size will matter some. Benelli mobile choke guns are generally pretty easy to pattern though.  Personally I like a 650-655 out of mobile choke guns using magblends.  Same combo usually works very well using LB Xr's 5s and 6s as well.

Rzrbac

I have no idea what's in my SBE II. For the last 3 shotguns ive owned, I called Kicks and told them the type of gun and shell I was using and bought what Mr. Boswell recommended. I haven't been disappointed.

WNCTracker

Decide on a shot size and if you want lead or HTL?  Then This time try calling Sumtoy for your SBE. William's got it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeykiller

I've had Indian Creek Jen's Gobblin Thunder and Sumtoy.  Sumtoy blows them all away.

3bailey3

Sumtoy! I love Williams quote, how dead do you want them!

BTH

I hear great things about the Sumtoy chokes. I would like to try a 10 ga one myself.

One that my brother and I both shoot that digest right many loads we have both run through them is the tru glo SSX strut stopper xtreme. Great results from everything I have run through it.
Phil 4:13

Alavoie52

I'm not sure if they make it for a Benelli nova but the HS Strut Undertaker is decent and its fairly cheap as far as chokes go.

Marc

I might try patterning the factory full choke, and seeing how much tighter you want your pattern... 

The last 5 years, I have been shooting my standard full choke out of a Berretta, and have yet to have shot at a bird I did not come home with.

When patterning my turkey choke, I realized it was awfully tight at the ranges I was shooting the majority of my birds at.  When patterning my standard full, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had decent 40 yard patterns, and in all likelihood would kill a well-centered bird out to 45 (if I make a poor judgement on range)....

I am shooting Hevi-shot #6's (which do pattern tighter than lead)...  So pellet size as well as pellet type/material will make a difference on your choke choice.  Admittedly, if I were still shooting lead, I would likley use some sort of turkey choke, but I would still pattern my factory choke with my ammo choice to get some perspective of how much more choke I wanted/needed...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Waynesworld23

Can't go wrong with a jebs or a sumtoy both will be great tubes if you try a few types of ammo
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

EZ

Quote from: Marc on April 10, 2018, 01:18:13 AM
I might try patterning the factory full choke, and seeing how much tighter you want your pattern... 

The last 5 years, I have been shooting my standard full choke out of a Berretta, and have yet to have shot at a bird I did not come home with.

When patterning my turkey choke, I realized it was awfully tight at the ranges I was shooting the majority of my birds at. When patterning my standard full, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had decent 40 yard patterns, and in all likelihood would kill a well-centered bird out to 45 (if I make a poor judgement on range)....

I am shooting Hevi-shot #6's (which do pattern tighter than lead)...  So pellet size as well as pellet type/material will make a difference on your choke choice.  Admittedly, if I were still shooting lead, I would likley use some sort of turkey choke, but I would still pattern my factory choke with my ammo choice to get some perspective of how much more choke I wanted/needed...

Very well said and something to think about. I subscribe to your way of thinking.