OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I want to start reloading turkey shells  (Read 9157 times)

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: I want to start reloading turkey shells
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 05:52:55 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone

Offline yungbuck

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
very helpful!  been thinking about moving to reloading myself

Offline drakehammer

I want to start reloading turkey shells
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
very helpful!  been thinking about moving to reloading myself
If you like the tungsten shot products, especially for high volume shooting such as waterfowl, you will reap the benefit of reloading tungsten.  It is a neat hobby anyway.  Studying ballistics and patterns and components etc is just plain addictive. Nice thing about Tungsten loads, you really don’t need to deal with 3” or 3.5” stuff, and you always get superior performance compared to other shot types. Some of that performance may be unnecessary, but its nice to have it.  And since you are relying on pellet density instead of speed for that performance, heavy recoil is usually non-existent.  If I can help let me know. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:34:16 PM by drakehammer »

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
I tell myself I'll start reloading almost every year.

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
You should at least give it a try if you are interested. The equipment cost for low volume tungsten hand loading with roll crimps is like $100.  For TSS, you’ll be able to load your own shells for $3-6 apiece instead of $11-12 for store bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
You should at least give it a try if you are interested. The equipment cost for low volume tungsten hand loading with roll crimps is like $100.  For TSS, you’ll be able to load your own shells for $3-6 apiece instead of $11-12 for store bought.

That's just it.  I haven't made the switch to TSS; otherwise, I'm sure I'd be loading my own already.  The hevishot I'm currently using is only about $2-$2.50 per shell after rebates and sales, so I'm just under the tipping point.

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 11:21:39 PM »

That's just it.  I haven't made the switch to TSS; otherwise, I'm sure I'd be loading my own already.  The hevishot I'm currently using is only about $2-$2.50 per shell after rebates and sales, so I'm just under the tipping point.
yeah the hevi-shot rebates help alot.

Online Big Jeremy

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 04:18:58 PM »

Me, too. LOL! This thread is now the sign pointing me to enter those thoughts again this year. I just don't feel that I shoot enough to justify buying the equipment, then the supplies to reload. Even if I switch to TSS (which I plan to do in the future), it would probably only save me $25-30 a year TOPS with the number of shells I shoot...it would take a while to make up the amount invested at that rate.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 10:38:36 AM »
I have been thinking about trying reloading for my 20 gauges,I have sent a local guy an email seeing if he has access to what i would need to start reloading #7 tss and #7 lead.If so,I may try it out.I can buy the federal tss #7 for 42.00 per 5 if I can't get the components to re load it.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 03:52:38 PM »
I have been thinking about trying reloading for my 20 gauges,I have sent a local guy an email seeing if he has access to what i would need to start reloading #7 tss and #7 lead.If so,I may try it out.I can buy the federal tss #7 for 42.00 per 5 if I can't get the components to re load it.

Your going to mix TSS #7s and lead #7s or load the two independently?

Unless your state requires #7s shooting anything larger than #9s in TSS is a waste especially in the smaller payloads of a 20 gauge. 

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »
I was going to load them separately and #7's are the smallest we are allowed to hunt turkeys with,I can get the #7's tss federals locally for $40.00 per box of 5.I haven't heard back and talking to a good friend that reloads for rifles basically told me it was a waste of money and time for the amount I would use and reload,I honestly just want to have 100 shells ready to shoot or hunt with instead of buying 4 packs of 5, and having to look around every spring and hope one of the local shops has them,or can bring them in.It is very sparce up here as they still haven't figured out that #7's are now legal to turkey hunt with.I called around today and they just try and sell garbage lead 5 or 6"s...no,thanks.I am looking for certain shells, and it isn't what you have in stock....almost as hard to find hevi shot for 20 gauge in a turkey shell.I may just have to buy a few packs every spring,as I haven't had much luck getting anywhere with info from two "reloading" shops...yet.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
If you are limited to 7s or larger, I’d recommend loading HWT 7s (15 g/cc).

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
I am definitely looking to reload the #7 heavyweights,I sent the local "reloading" shop a email stating exactly what I want to do and also asked on if they have what I need to reload that certain shell and the equipment,I have not received a reply yet.Hopefully soon.I do not mind spending a couple hundred on the equipment and then purchasing the proper components to reload #7's,as long as It is worth it with the quantity oh shells.I want to have 100 ready to go at all times,I may not shoot them but the peace of mind knowing I have them is what I want to have,the constant looking and searching for a box here or there of the shell I want or need is just a headache.I would rather be set up to build my own at anytime I may want or need too.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 06:34:34 PM »

Agreed. If I had to shoot #7s from a 20 it would be 15g/cc not 18g/cc (TSS).

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 07:05:19 PM »
I appreciate the helpful info,as I am not a re-loader and my father has long since given it up.He basically told me it wasn't worth doing,the equipment he has would work but it is 12 gauge equipment,not so sure exactly what i would need to get it to 20 gauge,i assume a 20 gauge die set...but I may just buy brand new and start off the correct way and be set for life.