OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I want to start reloading turkey shells  (Read 9156 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
I want to start reloading turkey shells
« on: March 29, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »
I want another hobby in the winter, and I want to start reloading shotgun shells.I will mostly be reloading different turkey loads for my numerous guns.It isn't about saving money,It's about adding a new hobby for myself.

I have not been a reloader but my father was a hardcore waterfowler for over 30 years and used to reload when I was a kid and should have most of the equipment that I can use.

My question are, how many of you reload turkey shells and do you have any tips? and advice.Is it possible to reload "hevi shot" type shells? which equipment do you use? and do you find your reloads pattern as well as the store bought ammo?.

I am a hardcore bowhunter who would like to add a new hobby during the winter when i am not building arrows and tinkering with archery equipment.

Offline reynolds243

• Longbeard
  • Lebanon TN
    • Simmons Calls
Re: I want to start reloading turkey shells
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
As far as turkey loads you can get the recipes from Hal or Shooter when you buy the shot from them. They are easy to follow and load

Equipment wise you don’t need much really. A roll crimper, scales and some odds and ends like a funnel but that’s about it. You can make it as complicated or simple as you like as far as that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:17:07 PM »
I want another hobby in the winter, and I want to start reloading shotgun shells.I will mostly be reloading different turkey loads for my numerous guns.It isn't about saving money,It's about adding a new hobby for myself.

I have not been a reloader but my father was a hardcore waterfowler for over 30 years and used to reload when I was a kid and should have most of the equipment that I can use.

My question are, how many of you reload turkey shells and do you have any tips? and advice.Is it possible to reload "hevi shot" type shells? which equipment do you use? and do you find your reloads pattern as well as the store bought ammo?.

I am a hardcore bowhunter who would like to add a new hobby during the winter when i am not building arrows and tinkering with archery equipment.
Yes you sure can reload turkey shells, lead or tungsten.  You can often load a better load than you can buy,  whether shotgun or rifle, because you tailor it to your own weapons and applications. You can use the same  equipment for turkey, duck, target or whatever...the limiting factor is the shell length in most cases.  Reloading is a fantastic hobby.  There are many options in reloading equipment. You first need to figure out exactly what you want to load and then we can help you a little better.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »
I am wanting to reload 20 gauge 3" shells for my turkey guns, and probably 12 gauge 3" for my tc encore single shot.I want to reload "hevi shot" type shells.I am also on board to purchase all the equipment i would need new instead of using 40 year old equipment that has been in my parents basement for 26 years and not used.lol.I actually would prefer to buy new if I can keep the cost low for equipment and add as I go.

Offline drakehammer

I want to start reloading turkey shells
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »
I am wanting to reload 20 gauge 3" shells for my turkey guns, and probably 12 gauge 3" for my tc encore single shot.I want to reload "hevi shot" type shells.I am also on board to purchase all the equipment i would need new instead of using 40 year old equipment that has been in my parents basement for 26 years and not used.lol.I actually would prefer to buy new if I can keep the cost low for equipment and add as I go.
Send me your email through pm and I will send you what you need.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:38:19 PM »

There are multiple types of hevi shot. 12g/cc, 15g/cc, and 18g/cc. Most loaders here are loading the 18g/cc stuff, called TSS. The shot is only made in China. There are some folks who have been loading it for a long time and they have taken the time and money to load these shells and have them pressure tested to ensure they are safe to shoot. These guys now order the shot from China and sell it with their pressure tested recipes. I would start by reach out to them. They will help you understand all that is needed to get started and provide step by step instructions. Hal Abbot is who I purchase all mine through but Tommy Duliba is another great source.

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »
You should have no trouble loading shells on that older equipment, as long as it in usable condition. Shotshell loading has not changed much, just the components. I'd get set up and load some target loads, and see if you like it before you spend a lot of money on new equipment. I was also thinking about loading some TSS loads, till I priced it! That stuff is a little pricey, but of course you'll only a few of them a year, so I guess it's not that bad. I have more fun loading 7/8oz 12ga target loads, they are a blast to shoot.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »
Loading TSS is safe and easy, loading 12 gm/cc Hevi-shot not so much. It is not possible IME to load a 2 oz Hevi-shot load for a 3" 12 ga and stay within SAAMI max pressures with the canister powders available to handloaders. If you want to shoot Hevi-shot, I would advise staying with factory ammo.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
Thanks...sounds like more of a chore than fun,think I will stick to buying it and continue building arrows.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 03:54:54 PM »
Thanks...sounds like more of a chore than fun,think I will stick to buying it and continue building arrows.

I really enjoy it. It's a cool feeling to harvest birds with shells you've loaded on your own. Loaded it for some of my friends for the first time last year. They were able to harvest 5 birds with the shells I loaded which was cool as well.

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
Where's the best place to get roll crimper and scales THANKS

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »
Start with light loads and work your way up...better safe than sorry. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »
If I was to do it,It would be for "hevi shot" or nothing and that seems like it really isn't worth the hassle so I will just buy the ammo as I have been doing.Thanks for the info and help with this.I was bored last night and was thinking of reloading "hevi shot" because it is so hard to find up here, as it seems from what I have been told most hunters are to tight to purchase it.

So, maybe this thread will get somebody else motivated and started in reloading but my motivation has dropped to nill.

Offline drakehammer

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »
Send me your email and I will forward info.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 10:39:45 PM »

Ballistic Products for the scale. Their $35 scale does all I need it too, never had an issue. Roll Crimper from Precision Reloading. Theirs seems to make a better roll than both of Ballisitc Products offerings.