OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Kill that lone gobbler quickly!  (Read 2571 times)

Online BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
Kill that lone gobbler quickly!
« on: March 29, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
Just a thought to share. ;)

It has happened to my brother and I more times than we can count.  We go to listen to a spot and hear only one gobbler pre season. Kill em within the the first week and let it backfill with other gobblers.

Head back to the spot 7-10 days after killing the lone gobbler after the pressure subsides. What do ya know.... hear 2-3 more on the same piece of property. Those sub birds are very glad the bully is dead!
Phil 4:13

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Kill that lone gobbler quickly!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
Believe me I will try and kill every mature gobbler as quick as I can. Till I run out of tags anyways.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BottomLand54

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 08:38:01 PM »
Believe me I will try and kill every mature gobbler as quick as I can. Till I run out of tags anyways.
If he’s mature I am pulling the trigger, now mature varies depending on hunter. If he comes to me opening day and he is a good bird I am squeezing the trigger until he is dead or until I am out of shells. And I hope just one shot one kill and I hope 13-17 yd shot, and I hope he comes in gobbling and strutting putting on a show where I have to catch my breath a couple times. I still get tore up every bird every time. A man told me one time he said boy if that leaves you you needs hang it up. I shoot em I ain’t gonna leave him there for someone else to call and kill him lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jims

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Obviously if hunting high pressure public land it can be tempting to harvest toms as quick as possible to beat other hunters to the few toms that may exist.  I've shot a fare share of toms opening morning but once tags are filled the season is over!  It's sometimes nice to kick back and watch turkeys doing the crazy things they do and extend the seasons a day or 2.  I get a kick out of filming turkeys (and other game) on hunts which adds a lot to the experience!

It's always nice having the option of being picky....trophy turkey hunting!  I would have no problem passing up a lone, young tom  or group of young toms.  I often hold out for mature toms with gorgeous fan, long spurs, and lengthy beard.  I don't always have the luxury of doing this, however, that is always my preference.  When hunting a new state with limited time I may not have the knowledge of the area to be as picky....especially if holding several tags.  This likely comes from being super picky hunting big game species!  With that said, I have no problem passing up young animals and giving them the opportunity to grow up!  As mentioned above there may be a couple monster toms that aren't quite as visible strutting just over the hill!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:53:54 AM by jims »