Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Preferred face paint or blackening for hunters with glasses

Started by BTH, March 29, 2018, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BTH

Just about ready to pull the trigger on lasik when the funds are there. Tired of fogged glasses and facemasks. Have trained myself to exhale with my top lip over my bottom lip while hunting. But during the hottest and muggiest hunts late in the season and early season waterfowl I still have to wipe my glasses off. Have tried spit and rub, rain x, neverfog etc. Nothing seems to last.

Thinking hard about blackening my face or paint it up.

Any of you guys like one type of paint better than another?
Phil 4:13

Sir-diealot

I wish I could have lasik, my astigmatism is to bad and the other problem I have is when I see a light my eyes tend to drift to the side and you have to be able to stare and hold you eye on a red light that is used to help reference where the laser goes so I can't have it. I used to have a nice facemask that did not fog my glasses at all but it came up missing so Now I have very thin black Rynoskin mask that works okay or if it is to hot I just put on some black face paint. (I hunt out of a blind with a blackened interior)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Rapscallion Vermilion

I switched to Carbo Mask a few years back.  Water based, no grease.  Easy to clean off.

Happy

I just use whatever I find that's cheap. I like facepaint better than a mask. Especially bowhunting. I am not a very serious hunter though because I don't take the time to do a wicked looking design.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on March 29, 2018, 07:48:56 PM
I just use whatever I find that's cheap. I like facepaint better than a mask. Especially bowhunting. I am not a very serious hunter though because I don't take the time to do a wicked looking design.
Oh crap, guess I am not serious either then!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BTH

Used old military stuff back in the day. Then the HS stuff. May give that carbomask a shot

Thx!
Phil 4:13

bobk

jims

I started off hunting with a head net with a giant slot around the eyes.  I don't wear anything any more.  I do a lot of run and gun hunting and don't have a problem harvesting toms without anything over my head or face.  Turkeys have incredible eye-sight and can be super spooky but I've found that similar to all game, they notice movement. Obviously a white face inside a dark blind may stand out.  Also, hunting high pressured easterns it may be a different story.

bbcoach

A good friend of mine that wears glasses had the same problem.  For years, he wore the full face cotton facemasks and he complained of his glasses always fogging up.  I gave him one of my 3/4 mesh masks and he loves it.  I use the 3/4 mesh from HS Strut.  It breathes extremely well, doesn't trap air and moisture like the full masks do and I can get it up and down without effort and without removing my hat.  Good hunting and best wishes until Lasik comes along.

owlhoot

Had some camouflage  dust ,hs strut or Fred bear I think. Good stuff and came of easier than than the creamy face paint.
Haven't seen it out in a while though.

Jasonb53

shaman

My way hiding my face might be of interest here.  I don't wear a  mask in the classic sense.  I started turkey hunting before there were dedicated turkey masks. I have to wear glasses. Paint was always such a hard thing to get off my face. In those days I was a wearing 3-piece suit during the week.  Coming into work with a smear of missed facepaint was a career limiting move.

Back in the day, I bought some camo mesh. They used to sell it by the yard in the store.  You can still find it online.  Wing Supply may still have it by the yard.   I took a couple feet of the stuff and tied it onto the tabs of a camo boonie hat.  The end result looks like the ear tufts of an owl.  When I'm traveling, I keep it back over my neck.  When I'm on a gob, I pull it over my face.  If you tie it just right, the mesh hangs down like a veil from the brim of the hat.  There's a bit of a sag in the middle-- enough to see through and sight my shotgun.

There's an added bonus.  When I'm calling, I leave the veil piled up on top of the hat.  When it's showtime, all I have to do is duck my head down and the veil falls down into its proper place.

The big benefit of wearing a turkey veil is the mesh stays far enough away from my face that my glasses don't steam up, and I don't have the dang thing bothering me.   I can put a mouth call in from underneath with no problem.

This is a real old-school method. I haven't seen it mentioned in 30 years.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kjnengr

I got contacts a couple years ago for this very reason.

The black duck commander paint comes off pretty easily.

Lately for duck hunting, I've been using cork soot to black up my face. That might not work if you are sweating from the heat and humidity.

howl

I only use paint below my eyes, on my nose and on the ears. The beard covers everything else a mask would.

Don't know if it is the best, but the Dead Down Wind paint comes off easily with a baby wipe. Unfortunately it also gets on the hand when you scratch your nose or itch your ear. May have to check that Carbo Mask stuff out.

I have found a Redhead brand boonie hat is the ticket for keeping the Sun from coming over my shoulder and lighting my glasses up. Shining glasses will get you busted. I always set up in the shade, but the shade moves and sometimes I can't move with it. The wide brim boonie keeps everything from the nose up in shadow.

Chris O

Go to the eye doctor and get contacts.Best move I have made. I wear headnets and face paint it just depends on my mood and what I have planned after hunting. You can buy daily contacts that you throw away every day after use or you can get monthly ones like I use. After you get used to taking them out and putting in they are super easy