OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Preferred face paint or blackening for hunters with glasses  (Read 17039 times)

Online Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Preferred face paint or blackening for hunters with glasses
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »
The hardy brand is pretty good .   I wear a mesh mask on cool morns with my glasses, but when it’s warm I put the paint on because my glasses fog up

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
Carbo Mask is the best face paint that I have used.

Yep, it's good stuff. i use it or a burnt cork
I bought some last year and was very disappointed in it, it was very wet, gritty and did not even stay on an hour and I put it on before I went on the 20 minute drive to the woods. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what but the old Fred Bear paint I have stays on better than that did. What did stay on did come off very easy as advertised though.
Sounds like it had settled out in the tube. I’ve seen that.  Shake it up real good before you put it on.
I will try that in the morning.
Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Followup on my above comments, I did try shaking it up and it did not work so I contacted the company and told them the experience that I had with their product and they sent me a new tube of the same and I can tell you the difference was night and day, I could tell it was much thicker just holding the container in my hand, I shook up both containers then went and applied some to each side of my face, the old one on one side and the new to the other and the new one did not feel at all gritty, applied better than the old one and dried much faster as well. I will give it a try this Spring. The manufacturer said that when you buy from big mass marker websites like Amazon you never know how long it has been sitting around degrading so I will buy directly from them when I do order more.

Glad you got some good stuff!  Ive been using carbo mask for years and I will tell you that if you let it freeze and thaw a lot it will degrade faster.  It gets runny and gritty at that point and doesn't spread well or stay put on your face.  If you keep it in the house during the colder months I feel like it will stay usable longer.  I love the stuff and would never use greasy paint ever again.  I keep one of the little tubes in my bino harness at all times and will even spread it on my hands in hot weather instead of using gloves.  Great stuff!
Update to my update, unfortunately even the better tube of it just ran off me, I even put it on before I left the house with a good dry, clean face so it would have time to dry on my way there. Back to the old Fred Bear paint I guess.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

rdjustham

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
Ive worn glasses for about 15 years.  It was a hard adjustment for me when hunting because I prefer to wear a mask both in South Florida (light mesh) and upstate New York (Cold Gear) and lenses fogging drove me nuts.  Figured out if i dont cover my nose with my mask i dont have a problem.

Turkey hunting I use a half mask that i can just wear around my neck until im ready to pull it up.

Offline Crotalus

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
Had the problem a couple years ago. Tried the cork soot with poor results. Tried generic face paint with poor results and difficulty removing. Finally tried carbomask, much much better.  I even put it in my ever whitening beard. I have had some settling issues with it from year to year but I give it a good shaking and occasionally stir with a bamboo skewer.

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 01:38:33 PM »
Battled fogged glasses for years.  I bet I still have 6-7 different face masks in my closet but my glasses fog with all of them.  I always ended up going back to face paint.  Hate messing with face paint and trying to get it off.  I looked at the Bunkerhead mask several times at the NWTF show and finally bought it this year.  It works great.  Mask is mounted on a wire and sticks out far enough from my glasses that I don't fog.  Wire is easy to bend so you can push it down when not using.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »
I have worn glasses since age 12 and I am nearly 60.  Tried many different face masks when starting out turkey hunting.  I have been using the same old Primos half mask for many years now.  It is one of the few that does not really fog my glasses.  It is also fast!  I wear around my neck and can slip it up in seconds.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!